Can I use the Daz content I bought for Mac on a PC?

Hi all, 

Am thinking of switching from a Macbook to a PC. To be honest, I am not the most techy person in the world, so sorry if this is basic stuff. 

Help with some questions would be most appreciated, please. 

My first question is: I have an extensive library of Daz content on my Macbook - all bought from the Daz shop. Will it all convert over to a PC okay? Will there be any special process involved in converting it? Or do I just download and install Daz studio on the PC, log in, and install the content? 

Second: Are there any other technical issues or difficulties I will run into with Daz by switching from Mac to PC? 

I am thinking of getting a HP Envy laptop, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD (a laptop works best for me, as I need portable, and space is an issue at home). Any reason I should avoid this model? I largely render art - no animation. 

Post edited by robertsj_aus99 on

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

No conversion needed. Everything except actual executable installers (usually for the program itself and plugins) will be exactly the same whether you use a Mac or PC.

One major issue to watch for in switching to a PC will be the graphics card. If you want to render in Iray, it will only work on an NVidia GPU, otherwise rendering will fall back to the CPU (the same goes for dForce). I'm not sure how that works in a laptop, I've only ever used mini-tower desktops. Which GPU does that laptop use?

The only thing I see about the laptop specs is that 16GB isn't all that much nowadays for working in D|S, you might find large or busy scenes will bring your shiny new laptop to its knees. I'm hoping to be able to get a new computer soon, and I'll definitely be aiming for 32GB at a minimum.

• Thanks very much @SpottedKitty

I found another HP laptop with the following spec: 32 GB memory; 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC SSD storage; NVIDIA® GeForce® MX250 (2 GB DDR5 dedicated). 

Is that much better? Presumably, an improvement on my Macbook Pro? 

Sorry, to come back with more questions, but I want to get this right. Really appreciate the help. 

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077
    edited October 2020

@robertsj_aus99

32 GB of RAM is decent, but the 1 TB drive won't go very far and the MX250 won't render much with only 2GB so you will be using the CPU to render, which is much slower. I'm not sure if the current required NVIDIA drivers will even support the MX250. Even if they do now, that's not likely to last too much longer.

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • @fastbike1 

Interesting. Thanks for your help.