Problem with joints with morph in animation [SOLVED]

adoniogtsadoniogts Posts: 98

Hello everybody!

Here I am once again! Trying to understand this lovely program called Daz! :)

I'm trying to make an animation of a human form morphing. I used morph loader pro to make the morph slider and it all worked out fine... I'm used to using morph loader pro, but this time, I'm trying to do my first animation of someone slowly morphing. When I move the morph slider the figure distorts cos the the joint (bones) don't adjust with the morphing figure shape... In a still image this is easy to fix. With the Joint Editor Tool I right click on the figure and in Edit I choose Adjust Rigging to Shape and problem solved. But this time it's an animation of a morph what I'm trying to do, and I don't know how I can make the joints adjust to the rig shape automatically in each frame to make an animation.

Does that mean I'd have to go frame by frame adjusting the rigging to the shape to be able to make an animation of a morph that doesn't distort? 

11.jpg
1366 x 732 - 224K
22.jpg
1366 x 732 - 222K
Post edited by adoniogts on

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,260
    edited October 2020
    adoniogts said:

Hello everybody!

I'm trying to make an animation of a human form morphing. I used morph loader pro to make the morph slider and it all worked out fine... I'm used to using morph loader pro, but this time, I'm trying to do my first animation of someone slowly morphing. When I move the morph slider the figure distorts cos the the joint (bones) don't adjust with the morphing figure shape... In a still image this is easy to fix. With the Joint Editor Tool I right click on the figure and in Edit I choose Adjust Rigging to Shape and problem solved. But this time it's an animation of a morph what I'm trying to do, and I don't know how I can make the joints adjust to the rig shape automatically in each frame to make an animation.

Does that mean I'd have to go frame by frame adjusting the rigging to the shape to be able to make an animation of a morph that doesn't distort? 

Hello,

You need to back up a little and finish making the morph ;-)

I would suggest loading a fresh figure, then dial in your new morph 100%. On the Parameters Tab right-click on a dial and select Edit Mode. Selecting that bone tool, right-click on a bone and adjust rigging to shape. Wait a second while D/S does that. Then on the new morph dial [it is still set to 100%], it was either a right-click on the top of the slider or via the tool cog ... get the dialog that includes 'ERC Freeze" ... the dialog pops up, I always have the bottom 3 items checked off [some just do the top 2 - whatever works for you] {that's for the previous popup for adjusting the bones} and click accept. Then resave your morph to the EXACT same folders as it was ever first saved to. [2 morphs with the same name will not be recognized/work in D/S].

Now then when you animate your figure it should work as desired :-)

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • adoniogts said:

Hello everybody!

Hello,

I would suggest loading a fresh figure, then dial in your new morph 100%. On the Parameters Tab right-click on a dial and select Edit Mode. Selecting that bone tool, right-click on a bone and adjust rigging to shape. Wait a second while D/S does that. Then on the new morph dial [it is still set to 100%], it was either a right-click on the top of the slider or via the tool cog ... get the dialog that includes 'ERC Freeze" ... the dialog pops up, I always have the bottom 3 items checked off [some just do the top 2 - whatever works for you] and click accept. Then resave your morph to the EXACT same folders as it was ever first saved to. [2 morphs with the same name will not be recognized/work in D/S].

Thank you for your response Catherine! :)

Well, I never heard of the ERC freeze, so I researched a bit and it sounds like what I'm looking for, but I'm having different problems with the shape now....

I did the whole ERC process and now when the morph slider is in 100%, the shape looks great, how it's suppose to look! The skeleton bones have adjusted to the body, but now when I set the morph slider to 0%, the figure looks deformed, not as it is supposed to be, not like the original shape. The joint (bones) all look fine, the are being mantained in the shape as the morph slider moves, but now it looks like in the 0% position of the morph slider the body shape is now adjusting to the bones, not the other way around.

Am I supposed to make an ERC freeze with the bones adjusted to the shape in the 0% of the morph slider, and again another, with the bones adjusted to the shape in the 100% morph slider? 

• adoniogts said:
    adoniogts said:

Hello everybody!

Hello,

I would suggest loading a fresh figure, then dial in your new morph 100%. On the Parameters Tab right-click on a dial and select Edit Mode. Selecting that bone tool, right-click on a bone and adjust rigging to shape. Wait a second while D/S does that. Then on the new morph dial [it is still set to 100%], it was either a right-click on the top of the slider or via the tool cog ... get the dialog that includes 'ERC Freeze" ... the dialog pops up, I always have the bottom 3 items checked off [some just do the top 2 - whatever works for you] and click accept. Then resave your morph to the EXACT same folders as it was ever first saved to. [2 morphs with the same name will not be recognized/work in D/S].

Thank you for your response Catherine! :)

Well, I never heard of the ERC freeze, so I researched a bit and it sounds like what I'm looking for, but I'm having different problems with the shape now....

I did the whole ERC process and now when the morph slider is in 100%, the shape looks great, how it's suppose to look! The skeleton bones have adjusted to the body, but now when I set the morph slider to 0%, the figure looks deformed, not as it is supposed to be, not like the original shape. The joint (bones) all look fine, the are being mantained in the shape as the morph slider moves, but now it looks like in the 0% position of the morph slider the body shape is now adjusting to the bones, not the other way around.

Am I supposed to make an ERC freeze with the bones adjusted to the shape in the 0% of the morph slider, and again another, with the bones adjusted to the shape in the 100% morph slider? 

Sounds like you missed a check mark.

ERC freeze is done with the morph dialed in 100%. Morphs are dialed to 0% to save them of course [otherwise they'll load dialed into every character].

I'll get a screenshot of ERC for you.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,260
    edited October 2020

Okay, in winging it I missed a popup ... it's in the first popup that some omit the last checkmark. {Some also uncheck various bones.} However in the ERC popup that last box must be checked. {I leave everything else checked and my morphs seem to work just fine}

This is the place where some [so I feel I should mention it] do not check off the last box. May or not affect fingers or something.

It's a right-click on the dial option.

Must have that last option checked for the rigging to be restored when the morph is dialed out ;-)

okay no bones should move with this.png
    1187 x 723 - 255K
    dialog box.png
    375 x 517 - 20K
    right-click ERC Freeze.png
    557 x 696 - 23K
    check the bottom one too.png
    508 x 711 - 42K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • adoniogtsadoniogts Posts: 98
    edited October 2020

Okay, in winging it I missed a popup ... it's in the first popup that some omit the last checkmark. {Some also uncheck various bones.} However in the ERC popup that last box must be checked. {I leave everything else checked and my morphs seem to work just fine}

This is the place where some [so I feel I should mention it] do not check off the last box. May or not affect fingers or something.

It's a right-click on the dial option.

Must have that last option checked for the rigging to be restored when the morph is dialed out ;-)

Thank you for taking the time to help me solve this conundrum with morphs! I did all the steps as you said, but the results seems to be the same. I have provided a series of pictures of my workflow in Daz so as to see what little thing or unchecked square I marked or unmarked wrong :/

1. The original figure with the morph slider in 0%.

2. The figure with the morph in 100%. As you can see, the bones stick out of the figure.

3. With the morph in 100% I adjust the rigging to the shape.

4. In the rigging of the shape I click adjust orientation.

5. The rig is now adjusted to the body shape with the morph slider in 100%.

6. I select Edit Mode, and Select ERC Freeze right clicking on the body morph slider.

7. In the ERC Freeze options I click the three squares on the bottom.

8. This is how the figure shape looks in 100%, the bones and everything align perfectly when the slider if moved to 100%.

9. But after the ERC freeze process, this is how the figure looks with the morph slider in 0%.

10. A comparison of the original shape, in the right with no morphing, and at the left the figure after the ERC Freeze in the 100% slider with the morph slider in 0%. 

I dunno what I'm doing wrong! :/

1.jpg
    1366 x 729 - 303K
    2.jpg
    1366 x 729 - 300K
    3.jpg
    1366 x 729 - 340K
    4.jpg
    1366 x 729 - 331K
    5.jpg
    1366 x 729 - 295K
    6.jpg
    1366 x 729 - 362K
    7.jpg
    1366 x 729 - 377K
    8.jpg
    1366 x 729 - 298K
    9.jpg
    1366 x 729 - 297K
    10.jpg
    1744 x 729 - 456K
  • adoniogtsadoniogts Posts: 98
    edited October 2020

I figured it OUT!

After the ERC freeze when the figure is set to 100% in the slider, if you move the slider manually the figures deforms... But if you do the ERC freeze at 100% in the exact frame you want the morph to be finalized, when you play the animation the bones move with the character smoothly and there are no deformations. I checkmarked the three squares when I did the adjust the rigging to shape and unmarked the last square when I did the ERC freeze.

If you move the slider manually it deforms, so the morph only works correctly when seen by playing the time line.  All I had to do was do the ERC freeze at 100% in the time frame I wanted the morph to be finalized!

Thanks for all the info Catherine!!! :D

• adoniogts said:

I figured it OUT!

After the ERC freeze when the figure is set to 100% in the slider, if you move the slider manually the figures deforms... But if you do the ERC freeze at 100% in the exact frame you want the morph to be finalized, when you play the animation the bones move with the character smoothly and there are no deformations. I checkmarked the three squares when I did the adjust the rigging to shape and unmarked the last square when I did the ERC freeze.

If you move the slider manually it deforms, so the morph only works correctly when seen by playing the time line.  All I had to do was do the ERC freeze at 100% in the time frame I wanted the morph to be finalized!

Thanks for all the info Catherine!!! :D

Hmm, we don't normally use the timeline when making morphs. All work is done at "0" on the timeline. After the morph is made and saved, then the character is ready to use in a scene.

"Restore Figure Rigging" is necessary to move the bones back into position when the morph is dialed out so that the base figure [with or without other characters dialed in] will work properly.