dForce "Error initializing OpenCL kernals" message

I get this whenever I try a dForce simulation with my new iMac 27" (about three days old). It's running all newly installed and up-to-date OS and Studio software. These are all fresh installs and were not migrated from my old iMac in which Studio always crashed when I attempted a dForce simulation. I first get a message about assembling dForce kernals for my GPU, the simulation starts with an "assembling kernals" message and then the "failed" window pops up after about 15-30 seconds.

dforce kernal error.jpg
1232 x 683 - 191K

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

It's been a while since this problem cropped up, but don't Macs generally need a separate OpenCL driver to bring the system up to the OpenCL 1.2 standard needed for dForce? A search for "OpenCL driver 1.2" and your Mac model should point you in the right direction.

• I can find no way to update a GPU driver in Mac's OS. AMD doesn't offer a Mac OS driver on their support site and since I'm not a software engineer or developer, I don't know enough about poking around under my Mac's hood to do it. As near as I can tell, this is the just released iMac version and it could be the first generation which has completely depricated OpenCL/GL language and as usual Daz doesn't respect or provide equal support to Mac users. Dforce is yet another Studio feature/enhancement that's now not available to Mac users. It's rarely worked for me in the past. Now it's just useless.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,899

As near as I can tell, this is the just released iMac version and it could be the first generation which has completely depricated OpenCL/GL language and as usual Daz doesn't respect or provide equal support to Mac users. Dforce is yet another Studio feature/enhancement that's now not available to Mac users. It's rarely worked for me in the past. Now it's just useless.

It's not Daz's fault that Apple deprecated OpenCL.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

No, the OpenCL driver you need isn't for the graphics card, it's for the CPU itself. OpenCL uses drivers for both, although I don't know if it'll have the same speed issues (GPU - fast, CPU - slow).

• Gordig said:

No, the OpenCL driver you need isn't for the graphics card, it's for the CPU itself. OpenCL uses drivers for both, although I don't know if it'll have the same speed issues (GPU - fast, CPU - slow).

I'm gonna plead ignorance on this. I have no idea how to add an OpenCL driver to a Mac OS. I haven't been a Windows user for almost two decades but I remember all the flips and twists I used to have to go through to update all the drivers blah blah and that aggravating frustrations involved. That's not something that Mac users need to do. I wouldn't even know where to begin. I just boot it up and it works pretty much flawlessly with every app I routinely use, with one exception and that's Daz's Studio.

• crashworshipcrashworship Posts: 216
    edited October 2020
    Gordig said:

As near as I can tell, this is the just released iMac version and it could be the first generation which has completely depricated OpenCL/GL language and as usual Daz doesn't respect or provide equal support to Mac users. Dforce is yet another Studio feature/enhancement that's now not available to Mac users. It's rarely worked for me in the past. Now it's just useless.

It's not Daz's fault that Apple deprecated OpenCL.

That's true but it is Daz's fault that they haven't made Studio completely compatible with Metal. They've had like three years since Apple announced that they were depricating OpenGL. It's not like it's some sort of sudden, unexpected surprise.

Post edited by crashworship on