Is there a way to achieve great outdoor lighting easily? Do you have any tricks?

I've found that using "Dome" or "sun / sky only" usually get the best results. Even when I tamper with the tone mapping and iso, there still seems to be a rather washed out look. However, when I see others post their outdoor images (a city setting comes to mind) it almost looks clay. I mean that in a positive way. The colors / shadows / shading seem very rich and full. Do you guys have any tricks or methods that have worked well for you?

Comments

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,398

HDRIs

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

That's normal in real like with Dome or Sun & Sky. Look at any family's collection of outdoor photos to confirm that.

You'll get best lighting outdoors by setting the time to times just after dawn or just before dusk by 2 to 3 hours and then rotating the Sun - Sky from 0 - 360 degrees. Of course then all your renders will have that 'about the same time of day look but oh well' that's the nature of lighting. You need just the right amounts and more or less isn't optimal to our eyes.

You can also add photometric lights to your heart's content to emphasize different areas in your scene from the DAZ Studio menu.