Install manager not cleaning up properly, not deleting files. *Solved*

bschollnickbschollnick Posts: 59

Okay, I am not sure this is the best place to post this...?  If not, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Now, I'm not new to Daz, and install manager...  But I just discovered something that doesn't make sense.

My installmanager is downloading to d:\daz3d stuff\user_public\daz 3d\installmanager\downloads
(That's not unexpected |-) ).  But after running Windirstat, I discovered that there are 11,106 files in the directory.

Before anyone says "Make sure Delete package once installed is checked", it is.

That's the surprising thing.  I have files up to today (10/11/2020), and going as far back as 6/16/2018.  So more than 2 years worth of files.

So can anyone confirm that this directory is safe to empty?  I believe so, but I don't want to goof up my daz content library...

It contains:

• 5,553 zip files
  • 5,553 dsx files

Post edited by bschollnick on

Comments

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

The zips are safe to delete, but the other files are telling dim what have been downloaded and installed. If you delte those, dim will think all your stuff is new and needs to be downloaded/installed.

• The zips are safe to delete, but the other files are telling dim what have been downloaded and installed. If you delte those, dim will think all your stuff is new and needs to be downloaded/installed.

And that's why it is safer to ask, then to blindly purge things.  

Thanks...

And I just regained ~350 Gb of hard drive space...  

• So is there any explaination why Install Manager isn't properly obeying the "Delete after install" switch?  Is there anything I can do to help prevent this in the future?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

The zips are safe to delete, but the other files are telling dim what have been downloaded and installed. If you delte those, dim will think all your stuff is new and needs to be downloaded/installed.

Not quite correct, once you install a package you can delete both the zip and dsx from the Downloads folder.

I would try unticking the "Delete Package after install" box and restarting DIM, then ticking it again.

• The zips are safe to delete, but the other files are telling dim what have been downloaded and installed. If you delte those, dim will think all your stuff is new and needs to be downloaded/installed.

Not quite correct, once you install a package you can delete both the zip and dsx from the Downloads folder.

Confirmed.  I deleted three of the DSX's and refreshed.  I wasn't as worried about the DSX's, since they only took 3 Mb, compared to the 350 Gb for the Zips...  But it's nice to know that they can also be deleted.

I would try unticking the "Delete Package after install" box and restarting DIM, then ticking it again.

I actually just did that, incase there was a preference display issue...  But I haven't had a chance to install anything since then...  Correction, the same issue occurred with auto-installed.  After reseting that preference, everything seems to be working fine.