Using an external hard drive for MyDaz3D library on a Mac

Is this possible? I've upgraded to a new iMac but had to settle for a smaller hard drive to keep the price a little more affordable. My Daz library is almost 330 gigs and would like to use an external Thunderbolt drive for my library but I can't seem to get it to work. When I try to install to the external drive with Install Manager, it installed everything, including the Studio and Install Manager app to the external drive and then all the links to the content get broken and the Studio app crashes. This is becomming incredibly frustrating.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

ISTR one issue is that if the external drive is temporarily unavailable, MacOSX will assign a new volume label.  Could that be the problem?

• No. It's the Install Manager. It wants me to designate a directory and when I do that to the external drive it installs everything to it, including the Studio app, CMS and Install Manager, so then I've got Studio, IM and PostGRE on my main hard drive and the external drive.

• RuthvenRuthven Posts: 639

You can give Install Manager different paths for installing software and CMS and for Content.

IM -> Option (gear icon on top right of the window) -> Advanced settings

In the tabs "Downloads" and  "Installation" you can specify different paths for the softwares and for the content; in the tab "Applications" you specify IM where are located the apps you're downloading for.

• Ruthven said:

You can give Install Manager different paths for installing software and CMS and for Content.

IM -> Option (gear icon on top right of the window) -> Advanced settings

In the tabs "Downloads" and  "Installation" you can specify different paths for the softwares and for the content; in the tab "Applications" you specify IM where are located the apps you're downloading for.

Yes, I've done that. Multiple times. It keeps going back to the recommended default My Daz 3D Library on my hard drive. When I boot up Studio again, the Smart Content and Content Library show the thumbnails but the content is gone (it's still on the removable SSD drive but Studio can't find it) and install manager insists on downloading and reinstalled the more that 1,800 items in my purchase history, which fixes at least the stuff I bought at the Daz store but not the stuff I've gotten elsewhere and this whole process takes hours to complete. In my opinion, Studio is a rather poorly designed and executed app that's buggy, unstable, not at all friendly to Max users and it's times like these where it becomes overwhelmingly frustrating and evident.

Ruthven said:

• RuthvenRuthven Posts: 639

Okay, that's weird. I'm afraid I'm unable to help you. Try asking for Totte's help in the "The Mac FAQ" thread, he may be able to guess where's the problem.