Blank Render issues

vaaernvaaern Posts: 77

I've been rendering a few images today when suddenly the render is done in a few seconds, but nothing shows up. Not in the render window or when using iRay in the viewport. I've reinstalled my drivers, didn't work.

I've tried rendering my scene again after rebooting, also failed. rendered an empty scene with the same render settings and the default daz settings. Doesn't do anything anymore. I've got a gtx1070 and driver 456.71 installed. I had this before, but it was always fixed by either restarting Daz or my computer. The scene in question rendered before and now previous saved iterations of it also don't work (as I thought it might be an issue with the hair I was using).

2020-10-10 17:21:17.150 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: No device specified or usable
2020-10-10 17:21:17.150 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering with 0 device(s):
2020-10-10 17:21:17.151 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...
2020-10-10 17:21:17.151 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: No worker to render with: aborting render
2020-10-10 17:21:17.151 Iray Render error: Internal rendering error.
2020-10-10 17:21:17.480 Saved image: C:\Users\chris\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render\r.png
2020-10-10 17:21:17.487 Finished Rendering
2020-10-10 17:21:17.527 Total Rendering Time: 3.79 seconds

Edit: I noticed that I forgot to add a primitive to my "empty scene", but I 've now tested it with a cube and I get the same result.

Post edited by vaaern on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,391

Error message says "No device specified or usable". Do you see your GPU in the device list?

• vaaernvaaern Posts: 77
    edited October 2020

Yes, I've tried the render with CPU too btw, and that worked (but is not ideal of course). I've also loaded up a pretty heavy game and that also worked. The card is definitly in the list. It suddenly stopped rendering from one scene to the other. I'm thinking of installing a previous driver to see if that works as reinstalling the current one doesn't work.

Edit: After doing a rollback on my drivers I could render a cube with my GPU but not my scene. I get this

2020-10-10 17:54:08.271 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070): an illegal memory access was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

Edit: After trying some more stuff out. I removed a hair piece and shaders I tried adding to them right before I had the issues (I had it rendered succesfully with the included shaders, but used IDG selectable shaders afterwards to get a bit more control, which then didn't work). After 2 or 3 tests it seems that adding the hair in question and then rendering seems to work fine. but adding the IDG shaders on the hair messes things up. Obviously I then wonder why I get these 2 very diverse errors. When I rendered the scene without the new hair and shaders I got a memory allocation of below 2 gigs, so well below the 8 of my gtx1070.

Post edited by vaaern on
  • You ran out of VRAM

• Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,081
    edited October 2020

I'm having the same problem. The render is done in a few seconds and it's blank.

Post edited by Drogo Nazhur on

You ran out of VRAM

So I'm guessing that using the shaders on the hair might just not work and cause more VRAM to be necessary? Since I removed the hair (and saved and reloaded Daz) and used her original hair the scene did render like normal. Telling me that it need 1.68gb (so well below what I've got available). It would also be weird since it's just a scene with one character, 2 lights and a wall and I rendered a much larger scene before without any issues.

I'm having the same problem. The render is done in a few seconds and it's blank.

As of now it seems to be a shader issue that I've solved by just not using the shader in question. Hopefully you'll find a solution as well.

• If you have CPU fallback disabled and this happens then you've run out of VRAM. Where you got how much VRAM is consumed is functionally immaterial as there is no source that actually accurately reports the amount used. 

A shader preset is more than just colors it is maps and maps can be at many different resolutions. If the shader preset you used includes a bunch of 4k maps, or bigger, that could easily exceed your VRAM. You could examine this for yourself. Load the scene find the surfaces of the hair and check the sizes of all maps as well as which ones are used before the shader preset is applied and then after. 

But its also possible its some weird issue with lighting/reflections etc. using a lot of VRAM. You could adjust the camera angle and then try the render again.

If you have CPU fallback disabled and this happens then you've run out of VRAM. Where you got how much VRAM is consumed is functionally immaterial as there is no source that actually accurately reports the amount used. 

A shader preset is more than just colors it is maps and maps can be at many different resolutions. If the shader preset you used includes a bunch of 4k maps, or bigger, that could easily exceed your VRAM. You could examine this for yourself. Load the scene find the surfaces of the hair and check the sizes of all maps as well as which ones are used before the shader preset is applied and then after. 

But its also possible its some weird issue with lighting/reflections etc. using a lot of VRAM. You could adjust the camera angle and then try the render again.

I guess it might be related to the last part of your post then, there's an option to increase or decrease the "sides" of the hairs. So I'm guessing that's it then. I do stil wonder what the first error meant that I got. The device was clearly in the list but Daz couldn't find it? Might that also be VRAM related? I'm thinking of updating my GPU anyways so maybe I'll have to look into a much more powerful one.