Help Understanding using Dual GPUs

I have been using Daz3D for a little over a year with a GTX 1070 before upgrading a few weeks back to RTX 2080Ti. I saw a big difference in render times between the two GPUs. 

I am moving my system to a new case, where my initial idea was to use the 2080ti and also an RTX 3080. With the 3080 been used primarily for rendering while using the 2080ti for gaming. Or using both at the same time when I am away from my desk. My question is, when it comes to using two GPU's and check marking them to be used in Daz, does Daz use the cuda cores of both GPUs or only the one that is using the VRAM for the scene? 

So, for example. Let’s say its a 4GB scene. Will it be rendered only by the 3080 with 10GB of Vram or by the 2080ti with 11GB? Let’s say it’s the 3080, when rendering will Daz use the cuda cores of the 2080ti or second gpu to help with the rendering at all? 

Comments

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

If the whole scene fits on the VRAM of the card, it will be used. If not, it won't be used.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

In your example of a 4GB scene and a 3080 w/10GB and a 2080 w/11GB, if both cards are checked, daz studio will use them both at the same time.

Same setup but your scene is 10.5GB, the 3080 will drop off and not be used but the 2080 will render the scene.