Daz improperly hanging onto graphics RAM after render?

Hello all,

I was watching my task manager while doing a GPU-only render.  As expected, as the render started the memory usage went from ,7 GB up to 7.5 GB.  But when the render finished and I had saved off the image, the memory usage only reduced to 3.3 GB.  It stayed that way until I closed Daz, at which point it reduced back to .7 GB.

I tried another render, same results.  This time instead of closing Daz, I simply started another render.  The scene spiked to my card's max (8 GB) and then dropped to CPU, so whatever memory was being held onto wasn't re-used or refreshed, it was just gone.

Clearly that's not ideal!  Has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,391
    edited October 2020

Did you close the render window? I've read DS keeps some things in memory if you keep it open.

Post edited by Leana on
  • Yeah, I closed it.  The window definitely keeps the RAM locked up until it closes, I can confirm that.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@Leana "I've read DS keeps some things in memory if you keep it open"

FWIW, I don't think that's DS. I think its Iray, since a render can be restarted.

• Hello all,

I was watching my task manager while doing a GPU-only render.  As expected, as the render started the memory usage went from ,7 GB up to 7.5 GB.  But when the render finished and I had saved off the image, the memory usage only reduced to 3.3 GB.  It stayed that way until I closed Daz, at which point it reduced back to .7 GB.

I tried another render, same results.  This time instead of closing Daz, I simply started another render.  The scene spiked to my card's max (8 GB) and then dropped to CPU, so whatever memory was being held onto wasn't re-used or refreshed, it was just gone.

Clearly that's not ideal!  Has anyone else noticed this?

Did you use the IRAY preview in the first render? If yes, you have to restart DAZ each time to clear out the VRAM, or use a Batch rendering script.

• Yeah, the renders were IRay.  I think I'm hearing that IRay always keeps some memory after every render, so Daz has to restart each time to clear it out?

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Yeah, the renders were IRay.  I think I'm hearing that IRay always keeps some memory after every render, so Daz has to restart each time to clear it out?

That depends on how much memory you had available you had to begin with and how much your scene requires.  For very simple scenes you can do multiple test renders and leave all the render windows open.