Geograft not following figure

I'm trying to build lekku for G8, but I keep getting this error.  If I move the hips, the geograft follows the figure.  However, if I move the figure itself, this happens:

Geograft error

Geograft Error.jpg
1467 x 986 - 302K
Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• Did you ever solve this? I am having the same problem.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

I'm trying to build lekku for G8

All of the Genesis' vertices are weighted to bones. But your geograft's vertices might not be weighted ?

Weight your geograft vertices to the head bone and see if it follows movements.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • khaliban_moorekhaliban_moore Posts: 4
    edited October 2022

It's caused by adding a smoothing modifier to the geograft.  I've noticed on other geografts.  Turn off smoothing, and everything works fine.  If you must have smoothing, you cannot move the figure.  You must move the hip instead.  The figure must always be centered.

Post edited by khaliban_moore on
    edited October 2022

Damn. Thanks khaliban_moore for pointing that out. I never noticed it.

So I ran some tests, and indeed: If we load a G8, add a geograft to it, then add a Mesh Smoothing to the geograft: the geograft moves back to the center of the scene rather than following G8's movements.

If I also add Mesh Smoothing to G8, it's even worse. Computer Fans accelerate, Geograft is sometimes properly attached when moving the viewport, but resets to center when one stops moving the viewport. When G8 is selected the brackets around it constantly blink and the computer clearly struggles to compute something that's constantly asking for resources.

Applying Mesh Smoother in the info bar stays at 0% but contantly blinks. Deleting the Genesis or Removing Mesh Smoothing instantly calms down the fans and fixes the issue :/

Well... definitely something wrong here.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

Now that is an entertaining bug :)

@hansolocambo, I think you should be the one to put in the bug report. Your screenshots show the problem the best.

• Does the smoothing type (Base Shape Matching vs Generic) matter?

edited October 2022

Does the smoothing type (Base Shape Matching vs Generic) matter?

Whether the end user chooses Base Shape Matching or Generic Smoothing, the result is the same.

I even tried (one never knows) all combinations of different smoothing on geograft and Genesis but it doesn't seem to have any influence on the problem.

You must move the hip instead

Sorry I didn't include this info in the video although it definitely sounds important and might help devs to eventually fix that someday.

So just in case it matters :

- Move the Genesis' root, or the Genesis parented to a Null : and the problem occurs.

- Move the Genesis by grabbing only its Hip or Pelvis : and the problem does not occur.

I submitted a detailed ticket about that issue with links to that thread and the video.

Thanks @khaliban_moore for finding out/sharing both the issue and how to reproduce it.