Illumination of different object in a scene

Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to iluminate an object in a scene without casting a shadow? With the direct lights it looks impossible? In other 3D software for example, in 3DS Max if you want to iluminate an object but do not want to cast a shadow, you can just turn of cast shadow and that helps a lot when you want to create an overall effect of global ilumination from one light source.

Any help would be great to understand if you can do this in Daz3D.

Thanks

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to iluminate an object in a scene without casting a shadow? With the direct lights it looks impossible? In other 3D software for example, in 3DS Max if you want to iluminate an object but do not want to cast a shadow, you can just turn of cast shadow and that helps a lot when you want to create an overall effect of global ilumination from one light source.

Any help would be great to understand if you can do this in Daz3D.

Thanks

3Delight can do it.

• I was hoping to use iray, because that is what I use most of the time. :)

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

You can do it in Iray, but it takes two renders and the use of canvases.

Render 1 would be the scene without the shadow caster.

Render 2 would be the scene with the shadow caster assigned to a node selection with Alpha selected.  Use the shadow caster layer with the Alpha layer as a mask to add the shadow caster in a layer above the first render.

• I was hoping to use iray, because that is what I use most of the time. :)

iRay is what is known as a physically based renderer. That means that it attempts to mimic as closely as possible the real world. So without workarounds it isn't possible to things like what you want. The upside of course is realistic reflections etc.

So the two step process above is your best option in iRay. 

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Iray actually has 2 modes

Photoreal, which is the default and mimics real world

and interactive, which I believe activates all the light and object shadow options so it works much like 3delight

You can find this option in the render settings -> editor -> Render Mode

• ok, thank you all so much for your help :) I will study more. :)