How do I freeze a smoothed bit of clothing as a morph?

richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,528

I have a bit of V3 clothing that's not designed for the body morph I'm using, so 'Autofit' doesn't work - V3 is too early to benefit from Autofit. So, to get the clothing to fit I have reduced the clothing scale to 90% so it's entirely within the figure, and applied a smoothing modifier to the clothing. This moves the clothing (in 34 steps or so) so that it's outside the figure. This takes a fair time. That's fine if it happens once, but it happens every time I pose any body part, which is frustrating. I don't wish to pose apparently naked figures, so turning the auto-update off isn't an option.

Is there any way of freezing the smothing modifier altered shape into a morph?

I have tried making the character invisible, saving the clothing as an obj file & then loading it in using Morph Loader. This almost worked. Except... when I hid the character from view, the clothing shrank back to the 90% size, and all the resulting morph did was to shrink the clothing by 10%. Not quite what was planned.

I'm sure there is a simple solution, but it isn't covered by any documentation I have downloaded onto the machine. How I wish there was an adequate help file, it would save me hours.

Regards,

Richard.

The actual case I'm trying is AS Elvenstrapped bikini on Glamorous Vickie as shown in the attached image - with the 34 odd smoothing iterations.

GV3 Elven Strapped 3 R01a.png
334 x 824 - 300K
Post edited by richardandtracy on

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

If you are making a morph out of the smoothing iterations, you need to have the clothing at 100% scale when exporting the OBJ, otherwise the morph will shrink the clothing just like you say it does. Scale Vicky up instead.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,528
    edited October 2020

I'm afraid that cannot work either. To avoid exporting the character in the obj file, I have to hide the character, which means the smoothing modifier shape reverts back to zero. So, the exported obj file mesh would be identical to the original AS Elvenstrapped mesh.

My problem is that if GV3 is visible when the obj file is created, GV3 exports too. If she is invisible, the smoothing modifier final shape disappears. In neither case can I create the morph I'm aiming for.

Regards,

Richard.

I'm afraid that cannot work either. To avoid exporting the character in the obj file, I have to hide the character, which means the smoothing modifier shape reverts back to zero. So, the exported obj file mesh would be identical to the original AS Elvenstrapped mesh.

My problem is that if GV3 is visible when the obj file is created, GV3 exports too. If she is invisible, the smoothing modifier final shape disappears. In neither case can I create the morph I'm aiming for.

Regards,

Richard.

Tried it last night with V3 and even though the smoothing disappeared when I hid the figure, it came back after a while just like the figure was visible. 

There was an option to bake the smoothings, which I tried, but the process was slow and I fell asleep before it got anywhere.

• PerttiA said:

Regards,

Richard.

Tried it last night with V3 and even though the smoothing disappeared when I hid the figure, it came back after a while just like the figure was visible. 

There was an option to bake the smoothings, which I tried, but the process was slow and I fell asleep before it got anywhere.

Where? How to bake? That's the sort of thing I am probably looking for. The terminology is wierd, I associate baking with cooking & getting cakes to rise and change shape. Changing shape is what I don't want it to do, which is why I asked about freezing it, because movable things cease to move when frozen.. The terminology for accepting a design, stopping the designers changing anything for production is 'freezing' in the engineering field i work in. Baking seems to be the absolute opposite of what I wanted, but if it does the job, it's what I want.

Anyway, how is it done? It is something I am sure is built in, just have to know where to look & understand backwards terminology without an adequate guide/phrase book.

Regards,

Richard

PerttiA said:

Regards,

Richard.

Where? How to bake? That's the sort of thing I am probably looking for. The terminology is wierd, I associate baking with cooking & getting cakes to rise and change shape. Changing shape is what I don't want it to do, which is why I asked about freezing it, because movable things cease to move when frozen.. The terminology for accepting a design, stopping the designers changing anything for production is 'freezing' in the engineering field i work in. Baking seems to be the absolute opposite of what I wanted, but if it does the job, it's what I want.

Anyway, how is it done? It is something I am sure is built in, just have to know where to look & understand backwards terminology without an adequate guide/phrase book.

Regards,

Richard

Trying to remember the menu-path as I don't have DS at work [bummer]... Edit->Figure->Geometries...?

• I'm just getting ready for work in a minute or two & don't have it here to check either..

I'll look when I get home. It's the terminology used & lack of a decent help file that's really slowing my progress down. Hrrumph. Thanks though.

Regards,

Richard

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,528
    edited October 2020

OK. I did succeed, but not entirely from within DS.

The menu option 'Edit| Figure| Geometry| Bake Smoothed Morphs' did not work (large attached image showing menu items), as it came up with a list of morphs to bake in (smaller attached image). I could see no chance of this working, as the smoothing modifier had operated on the base shape and modified it to fit. I did try it. and, as I expected, it failed to produce anything like the shape of the fitted top.

I tried again to export the modified shape as an obj file having fitted it to GV3. Again it unfitted itself as I hid GV3, and did not fit itself at all in the next 5 mins, so the top was its original shape only at 90% scale.

So, instead I hid everything except the figure & top. Then exported as an obj file including the figure. In my home made modeller, I selected the top, inverted the selection, deleted all selected facets and then deleted all un referenced vertices. Having done this I was left with a model of the top in the shape I wanted. Then exported this as an obj file. I imported the obj file into Morph Loader as a 'GV3 Fit' morph for the top. And.. it works. Boy, what a faff, but I am pleased.

Regards,

Richard

GV3 ES2.jpg
    281 x 740 - 44K
    GV3 ES1a.jpg
    752 x 798 - 88K