Still Having Render Problem with Moshi Kitten

Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,549

I know this is probably on my end, but someone might be able to help me fix this.

I tried to render the Moshi Kitten after using the Iray to 3Delight and the eye textures disappeared, even though they show up in surface, they don't show up in the render, so I tried rendering without any changes and used the 3Delight option instead of Iray, it rendered okay, but it will only render a white cat, even after applying the black fur option. The colors show up no problem if I use Iray, it's just I'm not that familiar with Iray and prefer 3Delight.

Any idea's on how to get around this or solve the problem with the eyes?

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on

Comments

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985

Mochi's 3Delight converted cornea material is causing your issue.  Apply the 3Delight Glass shader to Mochi's cornea material should fix your eye issue.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,549
    edited October 2020

I'll try that...thanks.....That did the trick, thanks for the tip....now to get the fur to behave.

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on

I can't figure out why my render has the kitten looking white and apparently bright. I appled the appropriate textures, then converted with the Iray to 3delight script, there are no lights in the scene, the only thing I changed was the color of the eyes, used a glass shader on the cornea as suggested above. So why am I not getting a black kitten?

Black Kitty 3Delight 01.png
    1000 x 1000 - 568K
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

I don't know if you figured this out and will say I know next to nothing with converting textures to 3DL because I don't ever use it.  But it looks to me like its not converting them, if I load kitty and just switch to 3DL renderer it gives me the exact same image.  As to helping you fix it I have no idea so hopefully this will catch someone elses eye that can help with that.

• as far as I know the strand based and dforce hair shaders for 3DL don't take from the texture map on the geometry for their colour, in fact I've not had any luck with the rsl strand based shader on dforce hair giving anything but white, but then again I have no idea what most of the parameters in that shader mean.

you could try selecting the fur (I don't own the kitten but I assume the fur is seperate) and applying a default rsl glossy or matte shader and then changing the diffuse colour to black, no idea how well it'll turn out though.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,053

yes it only uses diffuse colour etc not texture 

Daventaki...It doesn't matter if I use Iray to 3Delight or not, it renders the same. There is only one option for it to render as a black kitten, despite having 3 options, only one works.

skinlizzard...The hair is not separate from the texture map for the body. I have no idea how to access the hair so I can use diffuse to alter the color.

Everyone, changing the diffuse to black in any version I try results in the same render as previous.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,871
    edited October 2020

The hair is separate from his body. When you put his actor file into the scene, in the Scene tab, expand him out with the arrow next to his name, "Moshi the Kitten". You'll see

Moshi the Kitten
    - hip
    - MTK Fur
    - MTK Eyelashes
    - MTK Whiskers

You basically need to select all of that (well, the hip doesn't matter for this), then go to the Surfaces tab and expand that out, then select everything but the cornea and eye.

The main problem is that he is absolutely not designed for 3Delight. Since you'd already tried the Iray-to-3Delight conversion script and it didn't work, I just tried putting him in Ubersurface, Ubersurface2 and DS Default. (This will wipe out the textures unless you hold down the Ctrl key when you click the preset. My recommendation would be to let it wipe out the textures, because you really need the base shader to start if you're going to try this.) DS Default was the only one I could get to work even a little, and even then, it required repeated applications of the DSDefault preset.

One issue was that it didn't know what the other shader properties were that don't appear in DSDefault (or the others), so it simply left them alone. Which flipped it from being DSDefault to being a custom shader, which for whatever reason, didn't have a slot to deal with the diffuse texture. (Moshi does have textures, by the by, which are meant to go into slots for the hair even in Iray.) It took hammering it with the DSDefault preset to make the special slots go away.

It took three times to get rid of the special qualities in Moshi's hair shader. Once that was done, there were slots to put the hair textures into. However, because he's not designed for 3Delight, he doesn't look like himself so much as a stuffed animal version of himself with all the hair rubbed off. (This is a quick and dirty image; it's entirely possible that a longer render with more ray traces -- I used the default -- would give you a better image, although I can't say that it would "work", exactly.) The leaping image is raytraced; the standing image is shadowmapped (because I forgot to turn raytracing on.) I don't think 3Delight "sees" most of the hair at all, raytraced or not.

Moshi in 3Delight

Moshi, raytraced

His textures are on these paths, if it helps:

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_Moshi_TK_BaseColor.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_Moshi_TK_Black_BaseColor.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_Moshi_TK_Black_FurColor.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_Moshi_TK_Fur_Black_BaseColor.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_Moshi_TK_FurColor.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_Moshi_TK_IrisAlpha.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_Moshi_TK_IrisBlue.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_Moshi_TK_IrisMetallic.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_Moshi_TK_IrisTranslucent.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_Moshi_TK_IrisYellow.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_Moshi_TK_Noise.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_Moshi_TK_Normal_OpenGL.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_Moshi_TK_PupilRougness.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_Moshi_TK_Roughness.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_Moshi_TK_Scattering.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_Moshi_TK_Yellow_IrisTranslucent.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_MTK_Costume_Fabric_BaseColor.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_MTK_Costume_Fabric_Height.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_MTK_Costume_Fabric_Normal_OpenGL.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_MTK_Tora_Body_BaseColor.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_MTK_Tora_Body_Height.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_MTK_Tora_Body_Normal_OpenGL.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/HT_MTK_Tora_Eyes_Roughness.png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/MTH Whiskers/Skin MTH Whiskers [Hair Density].png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/MTK Eyelashes/Skin MTK Eyelashes [Hair Density].png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/MTK Fur Costume/Skin MTK Fur Costume [Hair Density].png

• /Runtime/Textures/Hypertaf/Moshi The Kitten/MTK Fur/Skin MTK Fur [Hair Density].png

Moshi-3delight-dsDefault.png
    835 x 830 - 793K
    Moshi-3delight-dsDefault-2-raytraced.png
    850 x 830 - 514K
    Post edited by vwrangler on

vwrangler..thanks for all the info, guess I have no choice but to use Iray, only wish I knew more about Iray to shorten render times and know what the hell I'm doing lol. With luck my daughter and son in law will have a new computer for me next year and Iray won't be such a big problem.

Thank you everyone for your help and Happy Thanksgiving from Canada