Mesh Question - double layer selection issues [solved]

Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,260

I purchased an .obj mesh that was made in MD at ArtStation. {rather a game of "* roulette} Turns out that this clothing mesh was made with thickness, and has lots of places where the mesh and/or seams are not joined. Looks fine as long as one does not want to pose it ;-)

Now the puzzle is, both in D/S and in Hexagon, when selecting mesh on one side - the mesh on the other side is also selected {and it should not be}. Does anybody know why this happens and/or how to make it not happen?

Selecting on one side, selects both sides.png
516 x 588 - 146K
Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Comments

• I haven't used Hexagon for a while,m or Blender at all, but if you can move polygons along their normals one option (assuming the inner surface's normals point inwards) might to to use that to move the two layers apart, with luck that would stop selection grabbing both layers. You could do the same with a Push Modifier in DS, then reverse the process. In Blender you might be abel to do it as a morph (shape key?) and then, having made the selection etc., you coudl reverse the morph to put the remaining polygons back where they started.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,260
    edited September 2020

Blender and I aren't exactly on speaking terms.

Didn't think of the push modifier ... will keep it in mind as something to try one day. Separating the mesh apart with the other methods I know of, had the same problems 'cause first one has to select part of it and that was not happening.

So ... after a few hours of rather tedious clicking ... in D/S I made several shading domains so I could then in Hexagon, cut the thing into pieces. I also deleted all the inbetween mesh which appeared to be meant for seams but it was not welded to anything. Then working one section at a time I found that the option to hold down the Shift Key in Hexagon and hit the "+" on the numberpad worked at growing the selection on the one side. So I did that and managed to get the inner layer deleted. At the moment I have got a sleeveless top merged into one piece. Next to fix and join will be the sleeves.

And if I have learnt anything from this project it is that I NEVER want to buy MD to make stuff.

Thank you for replying Richard. I have before this day, never encountered layered mesh that selected as one like this mesh does. If there's something joining the mesh, it is invisible.

update: Vendor kindly provided some single meshes :-)

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on