Some content has wrong shaders?

Hi guys, I had some issue with some content. It claimed to be optimized for iray, but once loaded, the shader is daz studio default shader, instead of iray daz uber. All the metal materials have the lighting model of "plastic" instead of metal. And there's almost no bitmap loaded with the object. But when I open the folders, there are lots of DSF files and the file sizes are over 100Mb in total. So it seems like there shouldn't be any missing files.

Because of this, the render result is nothing like the promo image. Any clues? Thanks a lot!

Comments

• It can be optimised for Iray and use the Daz Default Shader if that is set to give the desired results on conversion. I wouldn't regard it as desirable, but it isn't an inherent contradiction in terms.

• onyxlee_9b3cce7f35onyxlee_9b3cce7f35 Posts: 70
    edited September 2020
    Thanks, haseltine, so what's the quickest way to make it look the same as the promo image? I tried to render the original shader using 3delight, it's very bad. If I stick with iray, I have to recreate all the materials. Right?
    Post edited by onyxlee_9b3cce7f35 on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,391

If it uses the Daz default shader then DS will convert the materials automatically when rendering with Iray, you shouldn't have to do anything.

As for looking the same as the promo images, you will need to give more details on what doesn't. It might be due to the lights used, for example.

• Leana said:

If it uses the Daz default shader then DS will convert the materials automatically when rendering with Iray, you shouldn't have to do anything.

As for looking the same as the promo images, you will need to give more details on what doesn't. It might be due to the lights used, for example.

Thank you Leana, I guess Daz studio automatically converted the material into default with plastic. Is there anyway I can batch convert them into iray uber shader? (I trieid the light rig that came with the package. it is indeed the shader that's affecting the result.)

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,391

DS didn't convert anything to "default with plastic", those are the settings which were used by the content creator.
    DS does the automatic conversion on the fly when it renders. Just changing the shader to Iray Uber shader won't give you a different result, that's basically what the automatic conversion does.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

I've used garments designed for Iray that use DS default shaders.  It's a little weird, but the results have been good.

It would be helpful if you uploaded your result so far and provided a link to the result you are trying to achieve.  Otherwise, we have no way of telling what the problem is.

• Thank you guys, you are so kind! Love this community!

Here is my iray render out of the box, with the light setting that came with the package. The circled areas should be reflective metal. The second image is the promo. The third is the original DAZ Studio default shader:

I can spend time to recreate those materials. I just don't want to waste the time doing it. It's quite frustrating how many tech problems I ran into every time when I tried to create something. Do you feel the same about other content from the daz store?

I can't check myself because I don't own the product, but something is definitely wrong.  According to the description the International Space Station has metallic and roughness maps, which are normally for Iray.

Just generally, it's best to share as much information about a problem as you can to begin with, so that people don't waste time guessing.  And mention the product in the thread title so that people who know something about the product will notice.

• @Sevrin, you are right, I will keep it in mind next time. I have fixed the problem manually inside 3ds Max, which is quite time consuming, but the result is quite good. In your previous experience, did you run into situations like this where the assets you purchased got lots of issues that you have to spend time to fix?

@Sevrin, you are right, I will keep it in mind next time. I have fixed the problem manually inside 3ds Max, which is quite time consuming, but the result is quite good. In your previous experience, did you run into situations like this where the assets you purchased got lots of issues that you have to spend time to fix?

Sometimes it happens.  But I'm really surprised about this item, since there are two threads that talk about it and no one mentioned any problem with shaders and people were very happy with it.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/226596/

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/247426/

• Thank you, Sevrin, I will redownload and see if it fixes the problem. Anyways, my progress in 3ds Max is quite satisfying. Thank you for your help! Cheers :-D

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@onyxlee_9b3cce7f35  "It's quite frustrating how many tech problems I ran into every time when I tried to create something. Do you feel the same about other content from the daz store?"

I buy a lot of content and Technical issues with products, at lease from established PAs, are quite rare. When found, they are corrected in fairly short order. Given that I haven't heard about issues with this product, and that I haven't had to do anything with non-skin shaders, I wonder if there's something with your setup that is off. The only tweak I sometimes make to skin is that Translucnecy valvues for Caucasian skin are generally too high.

Remember that Iray is a PBR system and will emulate the interaction of light ewith an object. Lighting has a lot more impact on appearance that many seem to realize. Your metallic surface many not always look shiny depending on strength, incident angle, etc.