Banding in HDRIs in Daz Studio

RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,298

When I look at my HDRIs in Windows with a small app I downloaded from the web or in Photoshop it says my HDRIs are 32bit and there appears to be no banding. When I add these HDRIs to a Daz scene and render it, I get banding in my skies.

It would appear something in Daz is compressing this sky maybe to a lower bit.

Is there a way to turn off this compression for the sky only?

Post edited by RexRed on

Comments

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,298

Anyone else having banding problems with HDRIs or is it just me?

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

What HDRIs are they?  There's some weird stuff out there claiming to be HDRIs.

edited September 2020

The banding I am seeing in a HDRI "Skies of iRadiance - Sunset HDRIs for Iray"

It is the second one in the series with a file name of DTSol-SunsetB.

I inserted the HDRI into the render settings environment and turned my camera towards the sun and took a screenshot.

I hope this shows up.

2020-09-29.png
    1600 x 900 - 626K
    Post edited by RexRed on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104

That is the Viewport view which is a lower resolution than a render so that it is faster. Is the banding still there after you render?

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442

The banding is in the source image, so I don't think there is much you can do about it. This one is the only one in the Sunset series that has so much of it, though.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305
    edited September 2020

Naw, it's the HDR that has the banding.  I see it in Affinity Photo, and it's the same in the render.  I checked other HDRs and didn't see anything like that. 

For comparison one of Dreamlight's HDRs in a scene.

IDK.  Maybe it was an 8-bit image moved up to 32-bit?  Maybe that's the intended effect?

tl;dr: This is not an issue with all HDRIs.

SunsetB.jpg
    1108 x 1108 - 117K
    Dreamlight Beach HDR.jpg
    1300 x 731 - 148K
    Post edited by Sevrin on
    edited September 2020

Wow! You are all so very helpful, I have been pulling my hair out on this one!

I will try to edit the image in Photoshop add some blur and see if I can fix the banding somehow manually.

Now, I don't have to fix Windows, my graphics card, Daz and research color profiles, contemplate the meaning of life, yada yada yada... :) 

THANK YOU!

Post edited by RexRed on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104

I would also check your Texture Compression under Advanced in Render Settings, it might be too low, and the Environment Lighting Resolution to see if these make a difference. I don't have the set so can't check but looking at the Promo images there is no banding.