Moving Daz Scene Files to a new computer. Will they still load?

I am moving my Daz files over to a new computer. All of my scene files are stored on my old computer's C drive. 

The problem is that the C drive is quite small compared to the D drive on my new computer. Could I install everything onto the new computer's D-Drive and have the scenes still load? Or is it all ruined because of that one little letter difference?

(Most things are manually installed if that hurts/helps since I'm old fashioned) 

Thank you.

Comments

• The scene files use relative paths - the location of items thata re in a content directory are stored only as the folders within the content directory - so as long as you didn't have an issue like nested content directories they should be fine. That's why you can load scenes and presets for third-party content.

• BomberBomber Posts: 121

The scene files use relative paths - the location of items thata re in a content directory are stored only as the folders within the content directory - so as long as you didn't have an issue like nested content directories they should be fine. That's why you can load scenes and presets for third-party content.

Aren't nested content directories how all content works? Folder>smaller folder>smaller folder? Or is that something else?

• jmtbankjmtbank Posts: 175

I've always just coppied over the "My Libary folder" after first installing Daz.  Then just re-downloaded all the Daz store smart content stuff from scratch.  Which is fine if you have a fast net connection, less so otherwise.

• Bomber said:

The scene files use relative paths - the location of items thata re in a content directory are stored only as the folders within the content directory - so as long as you didn't have an issue like nested content directories they should be fine. That's why you can load scenes and presets for third-party content.

Aren't nested content directories how all content works? Folder>smaller folder>smaller folder? Or is that something else?

Something else - eg having both /My Library/ and /My Library/Content/ set as content directories.

Bomber said:

Something else - eg having both /My Library/ and /My Library/Content/ set as content directories.

I probably have folders like that. A lot of 3rd party creators lable folders incorrectly like that. Why does that ruin loading in a scene?

• Bomber said:
    Bomber said:

I probably have folders like that. A lot of 3rd party creators lable folders incorrectly like that. Why does that ruin loading in a scene?

Because when saving DS won't know which folder to take as the starting point for the relative path, which can lead to paths like /Content/Data/daz 3d/.... which may fail on reload, and will fail if the system loadig the file doesn't have the sane nesting.

edited September 2020
    Bomber said:
    Bomber said:

Because when saving DS won't know which folder to take as the starting point for the relative path, which can lead to paths like /Content/Data/daz 3d/.... which may fail on reload, and will fail if the system loadig the file doesn't have the sane nesting.

Can that be solved by simply setting it so it only searches in one of those folder paths?

I don't think I'm entirely understanding correctly. I have a ton of folders in the content/ folder that house props, custom objs, and etc. Having anything in Mylibrary/content that's not part of the default Daz folder paths will ruin the loading of scene files?

Post edited by Bomber on
  • Perhaps if you posted your current directory set up?

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Despite all the stuff you see for computers labelled 'Smart' they are not thinking machines so you must not do things that could confuse them.

edited September 2020

I've moved my library to different computers 3 times before and it's loaded all the scene files perfectly. I'm just curious if it'll fail to work if it's on the D drive, since it's always been on the C drive in the past.

My content library looks like so if that helps:

Studio3 folders are what I'm worried about, though I don't use them at really aside from getting an old 2004 chair prop once in a blue moon. They sound like what you were talking about, since they have similar names and all.

Post edited by Bomber on
  • My Library looks clean of nested content directories, at least.