posing is pretty laggy when moving bones in the viewport

bn105bn105 Posts: 0

[posing is pretty laggy when moving bones in the viewport] Any way to make it better.. i use base subdiv with everything hidden 

i5-8400

gtx1070ti

32gb ram

also im upgrading to 3080 with the new gen ryzen equivilent to 3900x.. will that help or its just daz being kinda trash ?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Are you using the iRay preview mode while posing? If so, it will be laggy - iRay is slow because it attempts to simulate real world physics, and real world physics are computationally intensive to simulate. If you use the texture shaded preview, it'll be much better as the approximations to reality are not so accurate, but are quicker. The iRay preview mode is not a usable mode while posing, save it for when you are trying to get the materials & lighting right, or want to gaze at a first approximation of your masterpiece.

Regards,

Richard.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,400
    edited September 2020
    bn105 said:

[posing is pretty laggy when moving bones in the viewport] Any way to make it better.. i use base subdiv with everything hidden 

i5-8400

gtx1070ti

32gb ram

also im upgrading to 3080 with the new gen ryzen equivilent to 3900x.. will that help or its just daz being kinda trash ?

As above, use texture shaded or another viewport option because iray preview is not realtime.

If you have a heavy character, with lots of hair etc, it can make posing slow in any of the viewport settings.  You should probably do posing first, or unfit your hair items when posing and see if that helps.

Also there is a setting under Edit>Preferences which is something like 'display optimisation' - changing that to best will speed up viewport (not in Iray preview though, that will still suck).

Post edited by lilweep on
  • I didn't see it mentioned, but any smoothing modifiers you have applied to clothes or hair will make posing more laggy - turn it off while posing and back on when you're done.

HTH.

- Greg

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
    edited September 2020

Smoothing is turned off whilst you're dragging it around.  Perhaps the tool setting is set to "accurate" rather than "speed".  There's a slider in there.  btw, removing hair and clothing helps a lot too if you want to set up poses that way.

Post edited by Robinson on