Question About dForce and Animation

Would I be correct in assuming that it is not possible to animnate dForce Hair?

Comments

• depends on what you mean by animate, you can animate the character and then simulate (timeline simulation) the hair and it will physics along, if you just want to move the hair around as an animation you'd have to use 'render invisible' helper objects or wind nodes unless the dforce hair also includes morphs.

the default settings for most dforce hair don't handle movement very well though (its generally very floaty, turning off air resistance and increasing hair iterations might help)

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,899

Why would you assume that?

• Greybro said:

Would I be correct in assuming that it is not possible to animnate dForce Hair?

I think it will depend on how well the PA set up the sim parameters. What did youl try? dForce Classic Curly Hair sims beautifully in DS, a very natural look.

• I have animated it and been underwhelmed, Dforced transmapped hair works slightly better

Carrara and Poser hair works significantly better.

• I have animated it and been underwhelmed, Dforced transmapped hair works slightly better

I'm sorry, @WendyLuvsCatz dForce what hair, now? :)

hair that is not strandbased

modelled hair that all of us can do not just Premier Artists if welded and has pinned surfaces, like simulating cloth

hair that is not strandbased

modelled hair that all of us can do not just Premier Artists if welded and has pinned surfaces, like simulating cloth

Ah. Today I learned.

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,493

depends on what you mean by animate, you can animate the character and then simulate (timeline simulation) the hair and it will physics along, if you just want to move the hair around as an animation you'd have to use 'render invisible' helper objects or wind nodes unless the dforce hair also includes morphs.

the default settings for most dforce hair don't handle movement very well though (its generally very floaty, turning off air resistance and increasing hair iterations might help)

I meant having it follow the characters animation using an aniblock.

• skinklizzardskinklizzard Posts: 218
    edited September 2020

ah ok, yea I forgot about the aniblock stuff, you'd need to bake the animate aniblocks to the studio timeline first then run a timeline simulation and it'll work fine (relatively speaking depending on the hair settings)

Post edited by skinklizzard on
  • GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,493

Is that the same as baking a regular pose which uses dials? In other words, Shift + B?

• No I mean if you're using the aniMate lite/aniMate 2 and aniblocks, you right click in the aniMate pane and select bake to studio keyframes.

if your animation is not aniMate 2 and already uses the studio timeline you can just run a normal dForce timeline simulation right away.

for animation simulations turn start from memorised pose off (in most cases) and set an initialisation time so that the hair can settle into a rest state before the animation starts.

I would upload screenshots of what I mean but my internet is pretty much dead on the upload speed side right now, so I'll do so later when it comes right if you haven't gotten sorted by then.