Long Island Mansion Crashes Computer

When using this: https://www.daz3d.com/collective3d-long-island-mansion I get a full system crash. Total hang.

This happens whether I hit render or try to initiate a preview. It started after the last Daz update. 

Any thoughts?

Comments

• GPU driver version? System specs?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

I have that product and it's extremely heavy on RAM usage and when your system runs out of RAM it crashes DAZ Studio in the older version of DAZ Studio. In the newer versions of DAZ Studio it usually seizes up your computer rather than crashing DAZ Studio.

In your render settings do two things to use this product:

a) Set to optimize for memory

b) Set the rendering resolution to 1920x1080 or less

Doing that I could CPU render with 16GB of system RAM. If you are trying to GPU render allow the render to fallback to CPU render in case it's too big for the GPU VRAM.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,071

Anything you hide will reduce memory consumption because it doesn't get sent to iRay.  So, if your're rendering inside, you can hide all the trees and bushes.  You can also hide parts of the building that are invisible to the camera, like the attic and so forth. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited September 2020
    Dave230 said:

Anything you hide will reduce memory consumption because it doesn't get sent to iRay.  So, if your're rendering inside, you can hide all the trees and bushes.  You can also hide parts of the building that are invisible to the camera, like the attic and so forth. 

Doesn't the occluded geometry get culled before sent to iRay (not sure since it's supposed to be physicallyu accurate it could need some of it still at least for correct light bouncing and shadows)? It does take a long while for DAZ Studio to prep the scene to send it to iRay & I think that's what it is doing then.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,071

It's possible. I checked the DS log file often, but I don't see any mention of an occluder, or any geometry being dropped.

I guess you can test your theory by taking a huge environment, scale it down, and put it inside a cube or sphere primitive.  Render a camera outside, and see what happens.  You can also click Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the Task Manager, and watch the memory level for the DazStudio.exe process to see if it goes up or not.

• Anything in the scene not manually hidden is sent to the GPU. 

All of cellective3d's buildings are pretty heavyweight so if you don't have a lot of VRAM it can be tricky to use them.

• Thanks for all the comments.

I'm pretty surprised because it worked totally fine prior to the last update. I've got 64 gigs of RAM, i7 Processor, GeForce 1080 Ti. 

I'll mess with it some more!