Isolating Shadows

I've asked this before in regards to a render shader, but really it should be simpler than that even.  In virtually all other 3D apps, this a basic feature yet I can't find how to do so in DAZ.

Quite simply, is or is there not a way in Daz to simply toggle an objects visibility so that it DOESN'T render, but still casts shadows as show with attachs?

If not, this would be an absolutely HUGE feature to add.

Vis to Cam ON.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 465K
Unseen By Cam ON.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 222K

Comments

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I know you can do with using the 3delight render engine in daz studio.

If rendering in Iray, I would think the shadow options would also be available by switching the render mode in the render settings from photoreal to interactive

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,215

Here's a technique I used a while back https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4035871/#Comment_4035871 . It's been a couple of years since I posted it so hopefully it still works in Iray.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Thanks Kitsumo.  At least it's a direction to test. I'm needing this for a sequenced Iray output to complicate matters. 

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Well, it sort of almost kinda worked.  I might give it another test, but it does seem to be a pretty fiddly process. Just the nature of how it appears, having to turn a very hidden special attribute On then Off,... I'm going to go with bug.

Too bad, but I'm not going to hold my breathe or anything else expecting that to get implemented.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054
    edited September 2020

you need to use the Create Advanced Iray Node Properties script that adds the iray matt function to objects

in My DAZ 3D Library\Scripts\Utilities

then if you check the newly added matt function it acts as a shadowcatcher

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on