Imported Obj - tri to quads

Could someone point me in the right direction - I'm on holiday and this in my project for the week smiley

I downloaded a couple of free G8M clothes meshes from Artstation (a shirt and a top by No_Brand) to see if I can figure out the rigging in Daz Studio. I am very much a luddite at rigging but I can run the transfer utility and follow Sickleyield's instructions from her Genesis Rigging and Morphing templates to get a basic transfer which is a start.

So, I import the obj, match to G8M, set up Transfer utility - it gets to De-trangulate - DS crashes, every time in both 4.10 and 4.12 beta. Okay, problem is obviously the triangulations. Took it into Blender (even more of a luddite there) and managed to find and run 'tri to quads' - still seems to be allot of tris after that but... - save, open in DS, run transfer utility - crash.

Obviously I don't know what I am doing but I want to learn. I have Blender and Hexagon, pretty much lost in both but I can follow instructions if someone wants to point me a tutorials.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Why can't you leave it triangulated? If you are rigging it, rather than using dForce, it should be usable.

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,300

It crashes Transfer Utility each time I try and run it. I will have to check what Tutorial I have bought to see if I have one on rigging any other way.

I've made some progress - it seems the template I used was causing the de-tragulation error. My new problem is I load the obj and it loads just behind G8M - I can move the top forward or G8M backward and it fits, can run the transfer utility, save it as an asset. And it loads next time the same 3.0+ back. I'm guessing this was the position G8M was in whatever software it was created in.

Anyone have any suggestion how to work around this?

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849
    3Ddreamer said:

I've made some progress - it seems the template I used was causing the de-tragulation error. My new problem is I load the obj and it loads just behind G8M - I can move the top forward or G8M backward and it fits, can run the transfer utility, save it as an asset. And it loads next time the same 3.0+ back. I'm guessing this was the position G8M was in whatever software it was created in.

Anyone have any suggestion how to work around this?

Re-save it after you reposition it, so the object actually has the position data you want.

Ah Thanks! Never thought of something as simple as that. laugh

Thanks you for your help.