Weird figure inversion. [solved myself]

AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

Hi, on occasions for reason i haven't been able to work out. Sometimes when I import a G8M from Blender after doing a morph the whole figures seams to be ripped apart. See the attachments. I did a morph this morning and it happened from Blender 2.79 so I switch to using 2.9 and did 6 morphs with no problems. Then the last one when crazy again. I changed nothing and was using the same file, deleting the morphed G8M and importing again or undoing if it was a simple morph. I've attached the various files.

9ad7704078a5cb28cb6c369cbcb1c8.png
990 x 1392 - 174K
Post edited by AbnerK on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,391

That kind of problem usually happens when vertex order has changed, it has to be kept the same for the morph to work correctly.

Maybe you used a particular tool in Blender which altered vertex order for the one which didn't work?

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718
    Leana said:

That kind of problem usually happens when vertex order has changed, it has to be kept the same for the morph to work correctly.

Maybe you used a particular tool in Blender which altered vertex order for the one which didn't work?

Thanks, I wondered that too, but, I'm pretty sure I'd made sure that was right. In the example I've provided I moved no more than 9 vertices, just a chin dimple, so, I don't know how I've changed enough to cause it.  I've since done another morph after starting again from scratch. New G8M, new file in Blender and it was fine. I'm prefect happy accepting I'm doing something stupid, but, I'd love to know what so next time it happens I can fix without having to start from scratch. 

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

In the export dialogue popup in blender, expand the traingle near geometry on the right side, there is a checkbox for keep vertex order there.

TheKD said:

In the export dialogue popup in blender, expand the traingle near geometry on the right side, there is a checkbox for keep vertex order there.

It's not vertex order. 

edited November 2020

okay, this has happened a few times now I thought I'd worked it why, but, I was wrong. I've had Blender 2.79 since it came out and used for pretty much the whole time, I've tried 2.8 but, it drove me nuts, I ended up going back to .79, now I'm making myself get used to 2.9. I'm not installing 2.79 on my new computer. I'm losing the will to live. I've loaded a new CC Orian I don't know how many times. I hate that weird slice down his forearms. I wanted to use him but, I can't stand that slice so I set myself the chalenge to get rid of it. It would have taken me a couple of minutes on my Mac but, I've spent about 4 hours messing around with this now. I think I need medical help now. 

Post edited by AbnerK on
    edited November 2020

I am about to give up. Can someone who knows? Please just someone who knows. I can't deal with someone making wild guesses, nice as it is you're getting involved I needed someone who knows. What is wrong with my export settings?

capture.png
    490 x 1352 - 127K
    Post edited by AbnerK on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

When you are exporting an OBJ from Blender to DS in order to use that as a morph, you are only interested in the coordinates of the vertices, while keeping the number and the order of the vertices same.

No need for normals, UV:s and/or materials and the Apply Modifiers looks suspicious

well, it's just my habbit, it doesn't do any harm to have good habbits and it isn't the problem. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014
    AbnerK said:

well, it's just my habbit, it doesn't do any harm to have good habbits and it isn't the problem. 

How do you know those aren't the problem?

Normals, UV:s and materials are just excess baggage, but are you absolutely sure DS doesn't react to them at some level?
    "Apply Modifiers"... Have you used modifiers in creating the morph? if not, it is better not to apply them to prevent any un-intended effects.

PerttiA said:
    AbnerK said:

How do you know those aren't the problem?

Normals, UV:s and materials are just excess baggage, but are you absolutely sure DS doesn't react to them at some level?
    "Apply Modifiers"... Have you used modifiers in creating the morph? if not, it is better not to apply them to prevent any un-intended effects.

so you're just wildy stabbing in the dark?

I fixed it anyway and it's nothing to do with the export settings. In my stress, totally different UI, not paying attention to the right bit and lack of sleep I'd made a mistake with the import settings.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,102

It's not a "stab in the dark", it is just basic trouble shooting. What was the problem?

edited November 2020

3WC said:

It's not a "stab in the dark", it is just basic trouble shooting. What was the problem?

Well, [Solved] means no further discussion is needed. However as you've asked me to explain why I said what I said I will try to.I won't reply again.

1. I asked for help from someone who knew. A wild stab in the dark, by definition, is from someone who doesn't know, so it's just wasting everyone's time
    2. The material settings are the default settings so, again confirmation of stabbing in the dark,
    3. I'm very capable of randomly selecting things to change, however that is not very efficient and, as I said, I didn't have time for blindly fumbling around.
    4. Those setting were actually right. Someone who knew would have known that and actually been able to help. The actual problem was with the import settings to Blender, so no amount of blindly changing export settings would ever have solved the problem. I, myself solved the problem, later when I had more time, by starting from scratch by exporting a cylinder to Blender and making a simple morph from that. 

I've been using Blender for 2 years. I'm not an expert since I only use it occasionally and 2 years does not an expert make. 2.9 is very, very different to 2.79 so, I'd overlooked an import setting since they are on a different side of the screen and the one I needed to change was hidden. 

Does that explain it as you asked me to?

Post edited by AbnerK on
This discussion has been closed.