Problems converting Michael 4 male clothes to Gen 8

RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,282

I am using the RSSY converter from Michael 4 to Genesis 8.

I keep my Daz Content in a folder on a secondary internal drive other than my C Drive.

I ran the script and created a folder in my Daz content folder named, "Michael 4 to Gen 8"

Then i navigated to the Michael 4 folder in the people folder and it says it can't find any content.

Is there a special folder where the DM installs the Michael 4 clothing?

I thought I had a lot of Michael 4 clothes, I bought a couple of the large M4 bundles.

The script did not find any clothing at all.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

:)

Post edited by RexRed on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,846
    Michael 4 clothing is probably Poser format. Did you look in the Poser folders of your Content Library?
  • RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,282

Hello Barbult, thanks for your help here, I looked but did not find any m4 clothing in my poser folders I am trying to trace it through my Daz content still no luck.

I see it there but can't seem to find where it lives.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,846
    Right click on the clothing in the Content Library and select browse to containing folder (or something like that, I'm not at my computer to check the exact words).
  • DMaxDMax Posts: 637

@RexRed You should be able to find the entire M4 wardrobe in your Poser directory >Runtime >Libraries>Character

I went through the same journey as you did a while back and the above should work. Heads-up though that even after the conversion, you won't find them in Smart Content since there is no metadata. To be honest, after quite a bit of time (and money), I am beginning to realise (after yesterday's failure to convert M4 to Genesis and the difficulty of handling Genesis skins versus G8) that it has not been worth my effort trying to convert clothing or characters. These days, I content myself working with the characters and their generational wardrobe. Let me know if your experience is better and maybe that will spur me to try it again!

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,438

Michael 4 clothing is all Poser Format content, with some materials in the DAZ Studio Format section. The Poser library layout is different than the DS layout, with all Figures (anything rigged with bones) together under one heading, but each product in its own folder, sometimes grouped under one vendor folder. If you installed with DIM, you can right-click on the product (in the Installed tab) and select "Show Installed Files..." to see exactly where they went. If you click one of the items (they are all hyperlinks) you will open a windows explorer to the folder with that item. For conforming items like clothing, click on something like /Runtime/libraries/character/yadayada.cr2 (characters are Figures in the poser world). Copy the folder location from the address bar and paste it into the "Select a Clothing Directory" dialog from the Converter's "Add a Directory..." button. (This is a shortcut I often use to avoid having to click through a dozen folders and scroll, scroll, scroll through dozens more to get where I want, even when typing the first few letters). The list should populate with what is available in that folder. Configure your options, and hit Convert. If it runs through in a minute and says nothing converted, you will need to Force Convert items. If you get the dialog to select TriAx or General weight mapping, the converter is doing something right.

edited February 2023

I can't seem to get even one clothing item to convert with this RSSY M4 to Gen8 script.

I lead the script to clothing directories and if it find items the script says they are not clothes.

Where are convertable Michael 4 clothing files stored?

Okay I found something to convert.

I get the message: A figure with Parametric Joint Parameters must be selected to perform this action.

And this error message: No items are selected, Please select some items and try again. (I have 6 M4 items selected in the list.) 

Post edited by RexRed on

These assets won't even try to convert.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,307
    edited February 2023

Have you tried pressing the "Select All" button at the bottom and trying again? I seem to recall (thought it's a long time since I last tried) that just clicking the checkboxes don't have the same effect.

Actually I have WitchHunter in my runtime - give me a few minutes and I'll see what I can make of it.

ETA: Ah, sorry, I seem to be having a major problem running DS right now. This might take me a while to sort out.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • Please repost the image with the Viewport in Smooth Shaded Drawstyle, or just move the error dialogue to cover the figure's groin or zoom in to show only the upper body.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Heve you read the included manual?

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/58887/start
    "Items without metadata can be converted but will not show up in Smart Content. They may also need to be converted using a Force Convert Item(s) button."

This is one of the error messages I am getting.

I could not get a single item to convert right.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,031

I added metadata to all my Generation 4 and 3 era items. When I went to convert it went better because they were identified. But it is a challenge to 'find' the products if you were not used to the Poser file system. 

This is the link to the Commercial thread where most of the initial problems were reported and answered. And where suggestions were incorporated.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/304091/released-rssy-clothing-converter-from-victoria-4-to-genesis-8-female-commercial/p1

edited February 2023

What kind of extent is supposed to be on the file that this M4 to Gen 8 converter is looking for Michael clothing?

.CR2. .DUF .PZ3...?

The only item I could get to work came in with no textures.

I had to force convert it.

Post edited by RexRed on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387

cr2 (format for rigged figures in poser) would be the actual clothes.

pz2 would be a poser preset file, to apply a pose, morph settings or materials. 
    pz3 would be a poser scene file.

Any duf file for a M4 item would most likely be a DS material preset for the clothes.

Depending on the item, it might be normal that it loads without textures as some clothes were made to load without them. Another possibility would be that they use a kind of poser materials which don't work in DS at all, like procedural materials.