Do the zip files in InstallManager > Downloads matter?

DefaultNameDefaultName Posts: 388

When learning Daz, I mostly just installed my content to my C drive via the DIM, without much thought. After it began getting full, I simply uninstalled, via the DIM, to get space back, thinking that was it.

I was looking through my folders manually today to discover my C drive kept zip file copies of many things I "uninstalled" through the DIM

For example, now-crowd billboards took about 15GB, I uninstalled through DIM to get that 15GB back, but then manually took the zip files for them out today, giving me more space back. There's quite a few things I don't use any more like this.

Do I run the risk of causing any damage or creating problems by removing zip files from my C drive this way? My guess is that keeping these zips enables me to reinstall through DIM without needing to redownload or replug the zip files, but I just want to be sure. Thanks.

Post edited by DefaultName on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,899

Personally, I keep all my download ZIPs, but if you decide that it's not beneficial, then go ahead and delete them. The downloads folder only tells DIM which files are available for install, and the manifest folder tells DIM which files have already been installed.

• You don't need them once the content is isntalled, though if you delete them you will of course have to redownload if you want to reisntall. You can move the package archive (the folder with the zips) to another location, if you wish. I would leave the .dsx files in the folder, they are very small and will allow DIM to see updates as such even if the content is not installed.

• Gordig said:

Personally, I keep all my download ZIPs, but if you decide that it's not beneficial, then go ahead and delete them. The downloads folder only tells DIM which files are available for install, and the manifest folder tells DIM which files have already been installed.

Excellent, thank you. Will check out the manifest folder next then.

You don't need them once the content is isntalled, though if you delete them you will of course have to redownload if you want to reisntall. You can move the package archive (the folder with the zips) to another location, if you wish. I would leave the .dsx files in the folder, they are very small and will allow DIM to see updates as such even if the content is not installed.

Good advice, thank you. I hadn't thought of that, and may just move the zips for files I'm also very likely not to uninstall, as well.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

I save the zips on an external drive after installing, especially for software and plugins, in case I need an older version.

• Keep in mind that the default location on C: for the downloaded .zip files is only and exactly that, a default setting. I can't remember offhand where it is, but among the many and various DIM settings is one to change where these downloaded files are saved. (There's also a "delete .zip after install" setting, if you don't mind having to re-download when necessary.) One common setup — especially for those of us with enormous content collections and limited space on an internal SSD drive — is to use C: only for the program location and perhaps the content database files location, with the downloads and actual installed content being directed to one or more large (multi-TB) external drives.

• Keep in mind that the default location on C: for the downloaded .zip files is only and exactly that, a default setting. I can't remember offhand where it is, but among the many and various DIM settings is one to change where these downloaded files are saved. (There's also a "delete .zip after install" setting, if you don't mind having to re-download when necessary.) One common setup — especially for those of us with enormous content collections and limited space on an internal SSD drive — is to use C: only for the program location and perhaps the content database files location, with the downloads and actual installed content being directed to one or more large (multi-TB) external drives.

Oh, I'll check that out too, thanks!