Switching storage drive from c:/ to d:/

I've seen a few conversations in the forums about moving Daz programs or assets to the d:/ drive, but most are very unclear. The YouTube video from Daz that's references is an older version and doesn't match the current one at all, so the visual isn't really helpful. It also doesn't specify whether the creator is relocating Daz content from one location to the other or changing the paths to download from scratch. I've also had tech people suggest that programs run better if they're on the c:/ drive, and I've read in the forums that everything needs to be on the same drive for it to work. I am not tech savvy, so please keep it simple, but if anyone knows the answer to any of these and can help with the directions, I would be eternally grateful.

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

Go to the content directory manager, add the new DAZ and Poser content directories you want. Put them on top of their respective lists. DONE!

Make sure that you have them set up in DIM too.

It is that easy.

Then move them over in your file manager.

• Step by step

Moving from one drive to another.

1. Setup a 'working' folder on the new drive, you can name it what ever works for you.(note: this isn't technically necessary, it's just for organization)

2. Goto C:\Users\user name\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio and C:\Users\Public\documents\daz 3d\studio and select the My daz connect library, My library, My Daz3d Library, basically every folder therein.

3. Move the folders to the Working folder on the second drive.

4. In Daz studio, remap the folder locations via the CDM(Content Directory Manager), right click the Content Library Tab, see attached images.

5. Map each of the moved folders, nothing lower or higher in the hierarchy.

If you prefer, you can just move the files inside the individual folders from the C:\ drive, and just map the 'working' folder.

Note:DIM, Connect, or central, may not be able to remove files after this move. simply adding the new path in DIM should remove this problem, but it doesn't always.

Do not forget to change the drive paths in DIM, Connect, or Central if you use those install options.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as "tech people" suggestions you mention, that is such a load of hogwash.

The short version is that it doesn't matter where a program is installed, as long as the computer knows where it is.

For DS assets, it's the same, as long as the path to the asset is mapped in DS, it can be anywhere.

Note: There are some messed up assets that have absolute paths. These require being installed in a specific drive and folder, but this is a bad file and can be corrected with a minor bit of editing of the DUF files.

content directory manager.jpg
    1363 x 715 - 223K
    content directory manager1.jpg
    1362 x 710 - 228K
  • Thank you! I moved everything to D driver. It's a bit glitchy atm, but seems to be smoothing out.
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

Step by step

Moving from one drive to another.

1. Setup a 'working' folder on the new drive, you can name it what ever works for you.(note: this isn't technically necessary, it's just for organization)

2. Goto C:\Users\user name\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio and C:\Users\Public\documents\daz 3d\studio and select the My daz connect library, My library, My Daz3d Library, basically every folder therein.

3. Move the folders to the Working folder on the second drive.

4. In Daz studio, remap the folder locations via the CDM(Content Directory Manager), right click the Content Library Tab, see attached images.

5. Map each of the moved folders, nothing lower or higher in the hierarchy.

If you prefer, you can just move the files inside the individual folders from the C:\ drive, and just map the 'working' folder.

Note:DIM, Connect, or central, may not be able to remove files after this move. simply adding the new path in DIM should remove this problem, but it doesn't always.

Do not forget to change the drive paths in DIM, Connect, or Central if you use those install options.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as "tech people" suggestions you mention, that is such a load of hogwash.

The short version is that it doesn't matter where a program is installed, as long as the computer knows where it is.

For DS assets, it's the same, as long as the path to the asset is mapped in DS, it can be anywhere.

Note: There are some messed up assets that have absolute paths. These require being installed in a specific drive and folder, but this is a bad file and can be corrected with a minor bit of editing of the DUF files.

That was putting it mildly...

In general the C-Drive is the worst place to install or keep anything other than the OS and OS alone, and the reason is "Where does the problem occur WHEN it does occur?" followed by "Do you really want to go looking after for your important files amongst tens of thousands of unorganized junkfiles with the recovery tool?"

• I've also had tech people suggest that programs run better if they're on the c:/ drive,

Note that they're talking about programs; the DAZ|Studio content files are totally different. Not that it matters, the program and content can safely be installed anywhere, and it doesn't have to be the same anywhere.

and I've read in the forums that everything needs to be on the same drive for it to work.

Some very old Poser-format content (the old pre-Genesis Generation 4 figures, Victoria 4, Michael 4, etc.) needs to all be in the same content folder, but anything that must be in the same drive is one of the "messed up assets" mentioned upthread. It's not supposed to work that way, but some old freebies were made by people who almost-but-not-quite understood the content file structure.