Beads of sweat

RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

The goal is to get beads of sweat because who doesn't like a hot, sweaty Brooklyn HD.  In this image, from left to right:

Brooklyn HD
    Brooklyn HD with Glossy and Top Coat layer parameters from the Think, Draw, Art tutorial
    Brooklyn HD after adding a water shader geoshell (turning off shell of eye parts of course)

Brooklyn HD Wet Shell

At first I thought maybe there's some displacement being applied to the figure and it isn't applied in the shell.  But I don't have any displacement maps in the material.  To make the skin smoother I also zeroed out the bump in the original (this figure has rather too prominent pores in the default maps for close-ups).  It's a similar story across the rest of the body, which as I couldn't be bothered to dress her for the screenshots (what am I, a nurse?), modesty does not allow me to post.

Now, I was under the impression after adding the shell, offset at 0.001, I should be able to apply an iRay water shader to it and get a figure that looks kind-of cellophane-wrapped, at least until I've got into adding opacity maps and so forth.  At least that's what happens to the tutorial figure.  In my (limited) experience with iRay, red means a ray has gone awf in the wrong direction.

What's going on?

(Note: I don't want to use a product for this - I want to learn how to do it myself)

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Brooklyn doesn't come with normal maps, and the water drops shader probably does.  That discrepancy can produce this effect.  If you add maps from another character, that should clear things up.  Lots of non-HD characters have Normal Maps On/Off presets.  Just pick a suitable character - it doesn't have to look the same - and apply.

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
    edited September 2020
    Sevrin said:

Brooklyn doesn't come with normal maps, and the water drops shader probably does.  That discrepancy can produce this effect.  If you add maps from another character, that should clear things up.  Lots of non-HD characters have Normal Maps On/Off presets.  Just pick a suitable character - it doesn't have to look the same - and apply.

An interesting thought but apparently I can repo this kind of thing with any figure.  Here's Genesis 3, applied geoshell, set offset to 0.001, apply Daz water shader to it.  Similar story (though different patches) with the thin water shader.  Mysterious.

Am using 4.12.1.118 (the 4.12 release).  Same story with the public beta.  Perhaps 0.001 is not what it used to be.

Post edited by Robinson on
  • I think perhaps the geoshell method is not for me.  I'll look into top coat maps.  Perhaps I can do something with that.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

The base G3F character doesn't load with normal maps either.

Robinson said:
    Sevrin said:

An interesting thought but apparently I can repo this kind of thing with any figure.  Here's Genesis 3, applied geoshell, set offset to 0.001, apply Daz water shader to it.  Similar story (though different patches) with the thin water shader.  Mysterious.

Am using 4.12.1.118 (the 4.12 release).  Same story with the public beta.  Perhaps 0.001 is not what it used to be.

• Why do I need normal maps?  If there's no normal maps on the base model and none on shell material?  It's just iray water.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624
    edited September 2020

Evidently in the newer version of DS the offset of 0.001 is not need if I leave at default 0.10 it works fine and even 0.01 does.  This is with all Lilith 7 HD as I do not have Brooklyn I did not change any of Liliths maps.

Geoshell Offset 0.001

Geoshell 0.01

Geoshell default 0.10

geoshell0.001.jpg
    1388 x 903 - 323K
    geoshell0.01.jpg
    1388 x 903 - 293K
    geoshelldefault0.10.jpg
    1388 x 903 - 321K
    Post edited by Daventaki on
  • Yes, I tried that but that makes the water layer too "thick".  I kind-of suspected this was a change to iRay.  Anyway, I'll add some opacity maps and see how it turns out.

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
    edited September 2020

Right, that's interesting.  It works with Genesis 3, Victoria 7 and Brooklyn HD.  Now I'm starting to think, as with my eye problem earlier (different thread), it's dependent upon the environment.

If I remove draw dome and go for scene only lights, with one spotlight and nothing else in the scene except the figure with its water geo, I get the effect I outlined at the start.  If I add an environment dome, it works.  This would seem to rule out using it at night and/or indoors and must surely be a bug.

Post edited by Robinson on
  • Maybe this is a known issue with iRay and is on NVIDIA's end.  Anyway I added a ticket for it, just in case a dev has a "doh" moment.  As a dev myself I know it happens sometimes!