Custom strand based hair moves off body whenever I move it's XYZ translation

I finally learned how to make custom hair for my characters, which is great cause there is nothing that exists that would suffice otherwise. After playing around with the model I notice that the hair floats off when I move the model up and down, left and right, and back and forth. What is up with that? It's like the translation speed/distance of the hair is twice of that of the model. Is there a easy fix or did I not to something right during hair creation? Note that it's just fine if I pose the head forward, back, any which way. The yellow strand markers in veiwport stick with the model like I want. This is all in Iray using strand based hair straight from the hair editor.

Please tell me how to fix this, I spent 8 hours trying to get this perfect for my models.

Hair Help 01.png
1039 x 881 - 390K
Hair Help 02.png
1039 x 881 - 397K
Hair Help 03.png
1039 x 881 - 363K
Hair Help 04.png
1039 x 881 - 465K

Comments

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375
    edited December 2022

Under parameters, make Sure 'Fit To...' is set to the right mesh.

Under parameters, there is a setting called 'Apply Transformations' or something like that - toggle this off and on. (Note: Toggling it is important!  I am not saying make sure it is on, I am saying switch it off and then back on)

Edit for posterity:

1. Unparent the SBH (it MUST remain unparented from the moving figure. It can howeber be parented to a Group or some other STATIC object, so you can put the SBH items in a Group called SBH to keep scene tab tidy)

2. Check to make sure "Fit to..." is set to whatever it is supposed to be fitted to

3. Toggle the Apply Transforms button Off/On or On/Off

Post edited by lilweep on
  • lilweep said:

Under parameters, make Sure 'Fit To...' is set to the right mesh.

Under parameters, there is a setting called 'Apply Transformations' or something like that - toggle this off and on. (Note: Toggling it is important!  I am not saying make sure it is on, I am saying switch it off and then back on)

I tried that, and it was fitting to the correct mesh. I disconnected it and reconnected but I'm still having the same problem. Anything else that could be the problem?

you turned this off and on again?

Capture.PNG
    1028 x 1490 - 104K
  • nate_c399e9f1nate_c399e9f1 Posts: 28
    edited September 2020
    lilweep said:

you turned this off and on again?

No, I selected this, changed it to "none" then back to the character.

Hair Help 05.png
    336 x 492 - 22K
    Post edited by nate_c399e9f1 on

ok... well you could try doing what i suggested if you felt like it i guess.

• All that did was show the hair floating in viewport, it doesn't fix the problem. Any other ideas?

All that did was show the hair floating in viewport, it doesn't fix the problem. Any other ideas?

Unparent it if it is parented to something

• I´m having the same problem, when I apply transformation the hair moves. When I move the base model the hair moves at a different speed. turning apply transformation on and off, tried edit hair and reapply, tried unparenting and fit to, nothing seems to work.

edited December 2022

Gunsotheloon_bc4615323d said:

I´m having the same problem, when I apply transformation the hair moves. When I move the base model the hair moves at a different speed. turning apply transformation on and off, tried edit hair and reapply, tried unparenting and fit to, nothing seems to work.

unparent and THEN try all of those other things. 

1. Unparent

2. Check to make sure "Fit to..." is set to whatever it is fitted to

3. Toggle the Apply Transforms button Off/On or On/Off

Post edited by lilweep on
  • rrwardrrward Posts: 556

I have an issue like that with a set of aftermarket pubic hair. If the hair is fit to the figure and parented to it it moves around the figure. If it is fit to, but not parented to it, it works.