easily uninstalling products that were manually installed

2»

Comments

• pfunkyfizepfunkyfize Posts: 475
    edited September 2020
    Sevrin said:

Yeah, I liked the fact that you can uninstall products installed with CPA, but have switched to Content Wizard for it's ability to create metadata.

Oh that's cool, I still have the CPA and have never tried content wizard. If the Content Wizard makes meta data, does the resulting metadata DSX file end up in the runtime/support directory and the manifest.dsx catalogs their paths as well? If it does, my script can still handle the deletion should a user want to manually install instead of sending the zip into DIM .

Post edited by pfunkyfize on
  • I just thought of something and forgive my candor as IO ask this question but if the biggest issue is the risk of deleting files that are used across several products,would there be a way to identify such files? If so, maybe then some form of exclusion could be worked out as a preliminary step to deleting of the batch?

• I just thought of something and forgive my candor as IO ask this question but if the biggest issue is the risk of deleting files that are used across several products,would there be a way to identify such files? If so, maybe then some form of exclusion could be worked out as a preliminary step to deleting of the batch?

That's the problem I mentioned a few posts up, there are too many permutations to write in exclusions. For example, I happened to see a material preset that called the AoA shaders for it. LOTS of products use that shader and if it gets zapped because it happened to be mentioned inside a duf file, that would screw the thousand or more other products that use it. What a mess that would be.

Plus, your product list continues to grow so the script can not guess what cross product data materials are being used and how many other products that use that data folder item so an exclusion list would be unfeasible because you have to maintain that list with every product that comes out. That's why the manifest file solution is the safest and fastest way to delete associated products.

Are you deadset against using the DIM as a means to install and delete products? The way I outlined above would be a surefire way to install the product as you would want to see it in your library and be guaranteed that when you click the uninstall button, it only deletes what is on that manifest file.

• If I have to bite the bullet, it could work for future product integrations, with great reluctance to say the least. No matter what, a product that usuall takes me just a drag-and -drop now will require that I recondition it into a new package. That and the other thing I mentioned about DIM. The problem with stuff that I already installed remains too. If a day comes when I need to clean up some products from my library, I'll still be wading in deep poopoo.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054
    edited September 2020

there actually is no reason you cannot use the default installs and have a separate duplicate  library of duf characters etc you know

if restarting from scratch

your existing characters should even still work as long as you keep your vanity data folders (under your username) for any added morphs etc

setting up a new library from scratch on a new computer all default DIM installs I was actually able to quite easily search for all the wendyluvscatz vanity folders and GenX ones in my old library and bring over those morphs 

duf character files simply reference your data and runtime and you can easily have copies littered anywhere

I duplicate (copy paste the duf and icon) commonly used ones in several libraries I use (my HW3D, Rendo etc ones) as it's easier than browsing back as you can only have one content library open at a time in D|S

they are in their own folder 

and in my case and reason for it are versions of the Carrara presets by Misty using commonly used figures so I can load them in both programs, my two folders are simply called Genesis 3&8 Carrara, access exactly the same data etc as the originals just have the node name fixes needed to not crash Carrara and are triax/blended weight

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on