Challenging or Frustrating Products that Need Fixing

ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,641

I question the quality control on this product. I've come across challenging products but this one ranks near the top as 'most frustrating'. It appears to be a mix. Partial Iray. I can fix the square cloud in the sky by replacing the sky portions but anyone have a quick fix to make the sand realistic, other than postwork or rebuilding maps? 

Edit: The product is Summer Island by Polish. I removed the canoes etc. and left the starfish. Upped the render resolution but made no difference.

SummerIsland.JPG
1617 x 1047 - 187K
TheSettings.JPG
529 x 161 - 22K
Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• Hello hello!  Did you change the compression threshold in the Advanced settings?  It's possible the sand textures are big enough that they're being compressed owing to the default threshold.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,641

Hello hello!  Did you change the compression threshold in the Advanced settings?  It's possible the sand textures are big enough that they're being compressed owing to the default threshold.

Wow. That was quick. Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Hello hello!  Did you change the compression threshold in the Advanced settings?  It's possible the sand textures are big enough that they're being compressed owing to the default threshold.

Tried it at 4096 Med & 9000 High, Did a spot render. Unfortunately nothing changed.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,936

That's a 5 year old product. The product page doesn't claim to have Iray materials. I think your expectations for using this out of the box in Iray are too high. Perhaps you could apply an Iray sand shader to the sand. Mec4D has a nice one in one of her shader products. Or pick up a free PBR sand texture from someplace like Texture Haven.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442

The whole product is a mix of Iray Uber, omUberSurface, AoA_Subsurface and DAZ Studio Default, with a smattering of custom shaders. Ironically, the sand is one of the surfaces that loads with the Iray shader. The texture has the grainy look of sand, but seems flat.

The sand is noticeably lighter with Iray, and overall seems under-textured. Of the seven bitmaps made for the sand, only two are actually used, with obvious maps for bump, displacement, roughness (but for which channel?), metallicity, and a second diffuse/base colour that are not. Maybe adding the bump or displacement (there's already a normal map used) and roughness in a couple of channels will liven it up a bit. Maybe tint the base color a bit darker, too.

NorthOf45 said:

The whole product is a mix of Iray Uber, omUberSurface, AoA_Subsurface and DAZ Studio Default, with a smattering of custom shaders. Ironically, the sand is one of the surfaces that loads with the Iray shader. The texture has the grainy look of sand, but seems flat.

The sand is noticeably lighter with Iray, and overall seems under-textured. Of the seven bitmaps made for the sand, only two are actually used, with obvious maps for bump, displacement, roughness (but for which channel?), metallicity, and a second diffuse/base colour that are not. Maybe adding the bump or displacement (there's already a normal map used) and roughness in a couple of channels will liven it up a bit. Maybe tint the base color a bit darker, too.

I bought this early January 2017 but unfortuantely never tested it. Guess I'll have to mess with maps. Your response nailed it. I feel like I'm on a scavenger hunt but I screenshot your comments and will start from scratch and give it a go. Thanks. Your post was much appreciated and I found it helpful.