Doubling down on 2080ti?

So as I was one of the people who owns a 2080ti, I was wondering if it was worth considering trying to pick up a used one and adding an nvLink for more VRAM, rather than crying myself to sleep.  In my case, it would also involve purchasing a new motherboard.  While it's no speed demon anymore, I'm not unhappy with my 7700k CPU, so I wouldn't mind if I could save myself the cost of a new CPU.  My PSU is 750w, so that would need bumping up.  I have a decent Coolermaster case, and could add a couple of fans to help with cooling.  Living in Canada, the thing could double as a space heater during a lot of the year.

Questions:

What would be a good motherboard? 

How safe is it to mix 2080tis?

Comments

• I'm assuming you need an ATX motherboard. The trick is going to be finding a good motherboard that isn't priced unreasonably high and I'm not finding any. 

What's wrong with your current one?

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305
    edited September 2020

I'm assuming you need an ATX motherboard. The trick is going to be finding a good motherboard that isn't priced unreasonably high and I'm not finding any. 

What's wrong with your current one?

It's an ATX, a Prime Z270-K.

Post edited by Sevrin on
  • That's a perfectly good board. Why do you need to replace it?

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

That's a perfectly good board. Why do you need to replace it?

I guess I was confused by how the slots are lined up.  If I can manage with this board, then so much the better. smiley

• depending on how wide the existing card is may make fitting an NVLink bridge tricky but you can certainly get a second card on the board. 

At the very worst you can put it in the bottom slot.

• Sevrin said:

So as I was one of the people who owns a 2080ti, I was wondering if it was worth considering trying to pick up a used one and adding an nvLink for more VRAM, rather than crying myself to sleep.

I would wait though.  I can see those 2080 Ti being < $250 early next year when 30xx production gets going.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

I certainly wouldn't risk paying more than 300 for one, and agree if the performance numbers are what Nvidia claim then for second hand I'd be more like 200 or so; new maybe 300.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited September 2020

Just a few days since I last looked and prices are even below 400 now.

Edit

Haha

Further down there is one for 205.00

ok - seems it can be lower than 205:  108!

2080ti.jpg
    1123 x 1252 - 206K
    2080ti 2.jpg
    1184 x 1184 - 199K
    Post edited by nicstt on
  • nicstt said:

Just a few days since I last looked and prices are even below 400 now.

Edit

Haha

Further down there is one for 205.00

ok - seems it can be lower than 205:  108!

Maybe you're not clear how auctions on eBay work?