If I have 2 CPU (AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X) and 2 GPU (NVidia 3090), will DAZ utilize them?

Now I have one i7 and 2 NVidia 2080Ti and I've found that it doesn't mean much between using and not using CPU. But if I have 2 AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X which is designed for animation jobs, I'm not so sure the result will be the same. Or I should order just i7 or i9 and leave CPU unchecked? Thank you!

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014
    iSeeThis said:

Now I have one i7 and 2 NVidia 2080Ti and I've found that it doesn't mean much between using and not using CPU. But if I have 2 AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X which is designed for animation jobs, I'm not so sure the result will be the same. Or I should order just i7 or i9 and leave CPU unchecked? Thank you!

What do you mean by "result"?, the quality or the speed it was created with?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,900

What motherboard even supports two 3990X?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    Gordig said:

+1

• Gordig said:

Yeah, that's what I want to know, too. I know that there are mainboards for 2 CPU but I'm not sure about mainboards for 2 3990X but the guy at local store said he would try to find it. So new question is, will it help in DAZ if I have one 3990X with two 3090? I'm sure many people here have got 3990X with 2080Ti. Thank you!

• iSeeThisiSeeThis Posts: 552
    edited September 2020
    PerttiA said:
    iSeeThis said:

Speed for sure! Now I do animation and I have a problem with waiting for half a day to know that the result is to try something new. It will be a bless to have something faster as beast.

Post edited by iSeeThis on
  • mwasielewski1990mwasielewski1990 Posts: 330
    edited September 2020
    iSeeThis said:
    PerttiA said:
    iSeeThis said:

Speed for sure! Now I do animation and I have a problem with waiting for a half day to know that the result is to try something new. It will be a bless to have something faster as beast.

You mean rendering speed? If so, investing in a threadripper is pointless. Add another GPU instead = better bang for the buck.

BTW, if you go with the new 3090 and keep your i7, make sure to disable the i7 in the render. It will slow down the 3090.

Post edited by mwasielewski1990 on
  • iSeeThis said:
    PerttiA said:
    iSeeThis said:

You mean rendering speed? If so, investing in a threadripper is pointless. Add another GPU instead = better bang for the buck.

BTW, if you go with the new 3090 and keep your i7, make sure to disable the i7 in the render. It will slow down the 3090.

Yeah, that's what I want to be sure. I have disabled CPU after learning that the management would be poorer than letting GPU work alone. But I thought that Ryzen would be different due to the design especially for animation (maybe working seemlessly with GPU). Thank you very much. You save my buck!

• Gordig said:

AMD doesn't support any. There still could be some wonky board from somewhere but TRx40 does not support dual socket.

• It's always worth a look at the results in the benchmark thread when considering new hardware: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/341041/daz-studio-iray-rendering-hardware-benchmarking/p1

Although there are no results in there for the 3990X and obviously none for the new RTX 30xx cards, the overall table of results shows that a Threadripper 3970X is roughly the same speed as a GTX 980Ti.  Even with double the cores on a 3990X compared to the 3970X, I doubt that you would half the render times on cpu only.  With any cpu/gpu rendering you are just slowing down the render with the GPU cards waiting for the cpu to finish its part of the render.  

The only time that threadripper rendering in iray cost-effective would be for scenes that definitely wouldn't fit into the VRAM of a graphcis card.  But in the near future, it's liiking like for the price of a 3990X, you could likely buy a much cheaper cpu and two RTX 3090 if you are rendering in iray.

• Thank you very much Dim Reaper. I know that AMD have no service for iRay. But it seems to be the only option for personal computer. A shame.

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,298

Another option is to network two towers with 2 3090's each using software, "Farm It".

• RexRed said:

Another option is to network two towers with 2 3090's each using software, "Farm It".

Thank you RexRed. But what I've explored, I've found it only support Blender, not yet DAZ. Am I wrong?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited September 2020
    iSeeThis said:
    PerttiA said:
    iSeeThis said:

Speed for sure! Now I do animation and I have a problem with waiting for a half day to know that the result is to try something new. It will be a bless to have something faster as beast.

Depends.

I have better render times on my 1950x (first gen Threadripper), than my 980ti in Blender, whereas in Iray the 980ti was about 40% faster.

How much varies from scene to scene, but can be twice as fast.

It absolutely is not pointless.

I plan to get an RTX 3090 and upgrade my MB/CPU when the next Threadripper arrives; if I could only do one, I would do the Threadripper.

Blender also does out or core rendering, so a plus there; there is also the Octane plugin for Studio with its out of core rendering too; Iray is a tool, don't get fixated on the tool - especially (imo) in a particularly resource hoggy one.

Post edited by nicstt on