When will DAZ support 30xx series RTX cards? Buy now or wait?

So... I'm planning on getting the 3090. Should I buy as soon as it's available, will it work in DAZ with the latest version/update?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,391
    edited September 2020

I don't think it does in the current version, but I might be wrong.

Looking at the change log they're working on a version integrating Iray 2020.1, though, and that version should work. No idea when that beta will be available though.

Post edited by Leana on
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@mwasielewski1990 "will it work in DAZ with the latest version/update?"

Studio uses the Iray Engine pretty much as is. The answer to youor question is conditional. If the current version of Iray, i.e. what is in Beta 12.2.2.6), supports the 30XX cards, then Studio will work with same. If the Iray version is updated for the RTX30XX, then Studio will support that as soon as Nvidia releases the updaed Iray engine AND The next Studio Release version/Beta version is available.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

We have no idea.

Daz may or may not be tied in what they can say due to NDAs.

There is no reason to believe it wont eventually support 3000 series cards.

1000 series took some months iirc.

2000 was very quick (only a driver update) for some support; RTX support took some months iirc.

3000 don't use what happened previously as a guide to what will happen this time.

Daz may announce when they are able to, when we can expect support.

• nicstt said:

We have no idea.

Daz may or may not be tied in what they can say due to NDAs.

There is no reason to believe it wont eventually support 3000 series cards.

1000 series took some months iirc.

2000 was very quick (only a driver update) for some support; RTX support took some months iirc.

3000 don't use what happened previously as a guide to what will happen this time.

Daz may announce when they are able to, when we can expect support.

Let's hope it won't take too long. It would be a shame to wait 6 months or so just to unleash the power of the new "Titan" :p

• Sorry for bumping the thread, but any news on 30xx support? I really want to pull the trigger on a 3090, but I need to be sure it's gonna work right away :)

Sorry for bumping the thread, but any news on 30xx support? I really want to pull the trigger on a 3090, but I need to be sure it's gonna work right away :)

The latest beta support 30xx cards.

• Leana said:

Sorry for bumping the thread, but any news on 30xx support? I really want to pull the trigger on a 3090, but I need to be sure it's gonna work right away :)

Great news, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the stable version! Does anyone think it will be released this year?

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305
    Leana said:

Great news, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the stable version! Does anyone think it will be released this year?

I wouldn't wait.  The beta is a separate install from the release version, so you can run your old release version instead of the beta if any problems pop up.  Besides, the beta is pretty solid, except for some problems with Iray section planes.

• Sevrin said:
    Leana said:

I wouldn't wait.  The beta is a separate install from the release version, so you can run your old release version instead of the beta if any problems pop up.  Besides, the beta is pretty solid, except for some problems with Iray section planes.

Thanks, that's very helpful, I didn't know you can run the beta paralell to the normal version. I'll try to win the F5 war and buy a 3090 then :)

• RikGGRikGG Posts: 20

Does the card manufacturer have to be Nvidia? The actual Nvidia cards such as the 2080 are out of stock, but there are other cards out there calling themselves GeForce RTX 2080, by Asus and other manufacturers. (They are mentioned on the Nvidia site) Does this mean they will have some restricted functionality?

(I have a really old card and can't use Iray in the viewport without crashing Daz, so I really want to upgrade soon.)

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    RikGG said:

Does the card manufacturer have to be Nvidia? The actual Nvidia cards such as the 2080 are out of stock, but there are other cards out there calling themselves GeForce RTX 2080, by Asus and other manufacturers. (They are mentioned on the Nvidia site) Does this mean they will have some restricted functionality?

(I have a really old card and can't use Iray in the viewport without crashing Daz, so I really want to upgrade soon.)

That's common, there are many different manufacturers that make nvidia cards (asus, zotac, msi, gigabyte, etc.) all basically the same :)

RikGG said:

A RTX 2080 card made by Asus or another manufacturer is still a 2080. The graphic units will be the same as the cards made by Nvidia directly, what can be different is for example the card layout, its size or the cooling system.

• RikGGRikGG Posts: 20

Ok. Thanks for the info. Gone for a ASUS Turbo GeForce RTX 2080 Ti , which is as much as the wallet can stand. Hope it's worth it.

@RikGG

If the wallet can stand a RTX2080TI, it can stand an RTX3080 which will be faster.

• DafaDafa Posts: 97

According to NVIDIA, DAZ Studio will support RTX 30 series in the upcoming update "later this month."

Daz Studio 4.14, coming later this month, delivers an Iray 2020.1 update supporting RTX 30 Series GPUs. With RTX 30 Series GPUs, users will see dramatic improvements in rendering speeds -- up to twice as fast as TITAN RTX!

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/october-2020-nvidia-studio-driver/

@Dafa

From the DAZ Iray Highlights https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/335016/daz-studio-pro-4-12-nvidia-iray#latest

"Daz Studio 4.12.2.50:

Iray 2020.1.1, build 334300.4226"

Dafa said:

According to NVIDIA, DAZ Studio will support RTX 30 series in the upcoming update "later this month."

Current beta does already support them.