Studio render times seem... Variable.

I still own 4.11 and also the newest release. 4.11 renders much faster than 4.12  Both versions render faster, if I close down studio  and reopen the scene, and hit render.  Both versions will get sucessively slower at rendering the same scene, if I do not close it over time. 

I'm nt sure I understand why studio is so... Varied in how long it takes to render, depending on outside factors. Is there a reason for this?

Comments

• Check out the log file when it renders, send it here. It should tell you whats happening. Im guessing it Fallsback to the CPU in 4.12. Seems to be doing it non stop over here. I personally need to use scene optimizer , turn off render quality, switch to speed in optimizer and hide objects if I want my GPU to take over. I have noticed that some products actually wont render using the GPU because they were optimized and built using a mac like Ultra scenes ect. 

• I still own 4.11 and also the newest release. 4.11 renders much faster than 4.12  Both versions render faster, if I close down studio  and reopen the scene, and hit render.  Both versions will get sucessively slower at rendering the same scene, if I do not close it over time. 

I'm nt sure I understand why studio is so... Varied in how long it takes to render, depending on outside factors. Is there a reason for this?

There is a benchmark thread somewhere. Numerous people were reporting that renders get slower with newer versions, but I wouldn't blame DAZ for it. Most probably the cause are updates in IRAY engine + gpu driver updates. Sometimes developers will slow things down to make it more stable.

• Thanks. I try to get some log files posted today.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602
    edited September 2020

It seems 4.12 and my nvidia super 2080 don't get along. The machine fails to render on gpu and drops to cpu a lot.

I don't have this issue with 4.11 which renders quickly and stays on track.

I won't be able to afford anything new machine or card so this is somewhat saddening. Especially since the new products require 4.12 to use some of the new hair, and my computer is new. So, I guess.... I'm stuck

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • mwasielewski1990mwasielewski1990 Posts: 330
    edited September 2020

It seems 4.12 and my nvidia super 2080 don't get along. The machine fails to render on gpu and drops to cpu a lot.

I don't have this issue with 4.11 which renders quickly and stays on track.

I won't be able to afford anything new machine or card so this is somewhat saddening. Especially since the new products require 4.12 to use some of the new hair, and my computer is new. So, I guess.... I'm stuck

Monitor the GPU usage. My RTX 2070 can utilize only ~6.2GB of 8GB in IRAY because of the internal overhead in the gpu memory (displaying windows, some internal IRAY stuff for buffers etc...) BTW, as far as I know, DAZ 4.11 does not utilize RTX cores, so rendering on a 2080S on DAZ 4.11 is like using only the CUDA cores. Just optimize the scenes more, hide stuff that's not in the camera shot, use scene optimizer to lower the res of some less important textures, etc, etc...

Post edited by mwasielewski1990 on
    edited September 2020

I shall. I find 4.11 however, regardless of whether it uses cores, to be far faster. I don't need to optimize either.  There is something wrong with 4.12 that it requires such gyrations to use, when I don't have to do any of that with 4.11... 

edited September 2020

Okay, so the same scene rendered in 4.11 vs. 4.12 A single figure in a scenes with a pillow.

in 4.12 the GPU fails and drops to CPU. In 4.11 there is no failure. Yes, in this scene, 4.12 renders faster. But that is generally not the case... Usually it drops to CPU sooner.  So I don't know what it means. Perhaps if it is lucky to fit on the card in 4.12 it renders quicker. But for some reason the card has no issue with it in 4.11 so if the scene is larger, it doesn't drop. I have no idea.

txt
    txt
    4.11.txt
    txt
    txt
    4.12.txt