Bad Metadata and No Product Thumbnails

evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,464

I've got a ticket or two that are still open after... I dunno, a year, year and a half. So... I don't know that I'll be going that route much in the future.

So what's the deal with abysmal metadata of late? Anyone looked at Holt and the assorted stuff that came with him? Stunningly bad. Almost as if the person putting it together didn't know what they were doing at all.  Have I got to go in and surgically remove all this crap that is not supposed to be there or is there some fix I am not aware of?

Also, what is the deal with the increasing lack of appearance of Product Thumbnails? My library is a parade of empty squares lately and its beginning to get annoying. Is the a delivery issue? Is there some way I can get this fixed without having to go download the picture and put it in place myself?

Post edited by evilded777 on

Comments

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985

RE: Product Thumbnails

I just fix it myself for Daz Connect installed products missing a product thumbnail.

1. Select the product, right click select "Browse to Folder Location"
    2. Drill down into Runtime/Support and you should see the product's  .jpg file with the product sku in the file name.
    3. Select the product .jpg, copy and paste.
    4. Rename this file in this format:  1_<sku>.jpg
    5. Drag the file from runtime/support to Cloud/Meta.  Overwrite if prompted.  Since the product's runtime and meta folders on the same drive, it will move the file.
    6. Refresh the Smart Content tab and the product icon should appear.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,464
    Lindsey said:

I just fix it myself for Daz Connect installed products missing a product thumbnail.

2. Drill down into Runtime/Support and you should see the product's  .jpg file with the product sku in the file name.
    5. Drag the file from runtime/support to Cloud/Meta.  Overwrite if prompted.  Since the product's runtime and meta folders on the same drive, it will move the file.

Thanks for taking the time to type that out. Neither of us should have to do that.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    Lindsey said:

Thanks for taking the time to type that out. Neither of us should have to do that.

Of course we shouldn't, but it's such an easy fix I just do it and don't stew over that a product icon is missing.  

Now seeing data/support files on the Smart Content tab is another issue .  I know it's been reported so I just ignore that it's there and expect them to eventually disappear with a metadata update.  At least it's all contained in Lost and Found.  I noticed those files showed up the the Lost and Found in the "Fallen Angel HD with dForce Outfit for Genesis 8 Female" product too.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,464

Everything in Marvellous Body Suit and the texture expansion for it show up in Lost and Found.  All of it.

Have we just tossed metadata to the winds now?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,936

Metadata has become worse and worse lately. I started a thread on it over here. I don't know if metadata is created by a human or by machine. Perhaps Daz has new untrained staff. It used to be mainly PC+ items that had bad metadata, but now the infection has spread to normal store products, too. I wouldn't mind nearly as much, if QA actually fixed metadata, once errors were reported, but they have not been fixing them. A CS person candidly told me that QA is too busy fixing "products that don't work at all" to work on my metadata reports. That is not encouraging. 

• Yeah, I've noticed this too. What's especially frustrating is that, when you notify the vendor, they basically tell you it's not their problem (I got this sort of response from Oso3d, for example), and, when you log a ticket with Daz, nothing happens. After a while, I just stopped logging tickets.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,936
    hookflash said:

Yeah, I've noticed this too. What's especially frustrating is that, when you notify the vendor, they basically tell you it's not their problem (I got this sort of response from Oso3d, for example), and, when you log a ticket with Daz, nothing happens. After a while, I just stopped logging tickets.

Oso3D is correct. Metadata is created by Daz,not by the PA. 

• barbult said:
    hookflash said:

Yeah, I've noticed this too. What's especially frustrating is that, when you notify the vendor, they basically tell you it's not their problem (I got this sort of response from Oso3d, for example), and, when you log a ticket with Daz, nothing happens. After a while, I just stopped logging tickets.

Oso3D is correct. Metadata is created by Daz,not by the PA. 

Yes, but, imo, *he* should be the one making noise on behalf of his paying customers. Why should we have to do the work of getting Daz to fix *his* product that he's selling? Anyways, as you can probably tell, this issue is a bit of a sore spot for me, and I don't want to derail the thread... blush But I agree with the OP's broader point that metadata has been going off the rails lately.