Parenting a head to another body

Can someone help me find a Tutorial on how to parent a head from one body to another body the one i found in Daz no longer has pictures and i tried to follow it but when i tiied to drag the doner body the head still went with it. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Are you wanting to replace the head of the figure with a head from a different base figure/creature or are you wanting to add a second head?

• csbond2csbond2 Posts: 46
    edited September 2020

I want to replace the head of a Genesis 3 to the body of another Genesis 3 bot when i parent it it is still atteched to the same body the only tutorial i can find in Daz no longer has the pictures so when it says to see what it should look like i cant tell if i did it right.                                                                         http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/dazstudio/studio-character02

Post edited by csbond2 on
  • csbond2 said:

I want to replace the head of a Genesis 3 to the body of another Genesis 3 bot when i parent it it is still atteched to the same body 

I'm pretty sure that's always going to be the case - the donor head is always going to be truly attached to its own body, but you can make it (sort of) look and work as though it is attached to the other one...

To prepare your "head" figure...

• Add a new figure to your scene
    • In the Scene tab, select the Hip bone, then right-click, and choose Select > Select Children. This will select every bone.
    • In the parameters tab, make sure your preferences are set to "Consolidate Preferences." Choose "All" to show all the properties of all the selected bones.
    • Set the "Visible" property to Off, this will make everything disappear. Choose Edit > Object > Lock > Lock Selected Node(s) from the menu to lock everything down.
    • Now to make just the head visible, select the Neck Lower bone in the scene tab, then right-click and choose Select > Select Children
    • Choose Edit > Object > Lock > Unlock Selected Node(s) in the menu
    • In the Parameters tab, choose "All," and set the "Visible" property to On

You now have a floating head figure that is still attached to its own body, but that body cannot bee seen or posed.

You can follow a similar process with your body figure. I won't spell this one out step-by-step, but you select its Neck Lower and its children, set their visibility to off and lock them.

Finally, you need to position the Head figure to sit atop the Body figure (the join is unlikely to look pretty - cover it with something if you can), and parent the whole Head figure to the Body figure's Neck Lower bone.

That should do what you asked for. It has to be said, it's a pretty crude technique and a very old tutorial that you refer to. There are probably better ways involving transferring morphs to keep everything to a single figure, but it's hard to recommend anything without knowing quite what you're trying to do.

• csbond2 said:

I want to replace the head of a Genesis 3 to the body of another Genesis 3 bot when i parent it it is still atteched to the same body 

I'm pretty sure that's always going to be the case - the donor head is always going to be truly attached to its own body, but you can make it (sort of) look and work as though it is attached to the other one...

To prepare your "head" figure...

• Add a new figure to your scene
    • In the Scene tab, select the Hip bone, then right-click, and choose Select > Select Children. This will select every bone.
    • In the parameters tab, make sure your preferences are set to "Consolidate Preferences." Choose "All" to show all the properties of all the selected bones.
    • Set the "Visible" property to Off, this will make everything disappear. Choose Edit > Object > Lock > Lock Selected Node(s) from the menu to lock everything down.
    • Now to make just the head visible, select the Neck Lower bone in the scene tab, then right-click and choose Select > Select Children
    • Choose Edit > Object > Lock > Unlock Selected Node(s) in the menu
    • In the Parameters tab, choose "All," and set the "Visible" property to On

You now have a floating head figure that is still attached to its own body, but that body cannot bee seen or posed.

You can follow a similar process with your body figure. I won't spell this one out step-by-step, but you select its Neck Lower and its children, set their visibility to off and lock them.

Finally, you need to position the Head figure to sit atop the Body figure (the join is unlikely to look pretty - cover it with something if you can), and parent the whole Head figure to the Body figure's Neck Lower bone.

That should do what you asked for. It has to be said, it's a pretty crude technique and a very old tutorial that you refer to. There are probably better ways involving transferring morphs to keep everything to a single figure, but it's hard to recommend anything without knowing quite what you're trying to do.

Thank you for your comment i will try that and see how it works.