3DL over Iraq

Must have been 2 years ago that my Iray suddenly stopped working. when I go to "render" nothing happens. I started using 3DL and it renders much faster the finished product does lack a certain crispness that was in the Iray renders. Also the 3 DL does not render black skin.  If I load a Shania, she will not render. I have to use a Brittney or Hillary morph( she comes out looking very fair skinned black girl and not brown skinned)  or if I load a base Gen 8 and use the Shania morph I can get a black girl with brown skin. It's a pain and I've found a way to work around this when I produce black subjects. 

I have since learned to just accept this and its all good for now, however i live in constant fear that one day Daz will phase out 3DL and I will be screwed. 

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,392

3DL can definitely render black skin. Does that character come with 3DL materials, and did you use them?

• sliders49 said:

i live in constant fear that one day Daz will phase out 3DL and I will be screwed. 

When I first started using DS somewhat seriously for my NPR work, I had the same concerns when Iray first came out since I'd be investing the time to create custom shaders and the scripts to apply them intelligently. 

I know it's not a guarantee going forward, but FWIW that was back in 2015.

- Greg

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@sliders49 "Must have been 2 years ago that my Iray suddenly stopped working."

Do you keep up with Studio updates? What GPU do you have? What OS? Iray has minimum required drivers for various versions. Also various older Nvidia GPUs are/were no longer supported. For a time Windows 10 had a bad habit of replacing Nvidia drivers with its own substandard ones.

Iray will run on CPU, just not as fast as an Nvidia GPU.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,900

A black figure rendered in 3DL:

• well Iraq is a scary hotbed of unrest cheeky

iray on the othehand even works on my other computer without a graphics card, its just very very slow blushmaybe you disabed CPU or CPU fallback in the settings

• sliders49 said:

i live in constant fear that one day Daz will phase out 3DL and I will be screwed. 

When I first started using DS somewhat seriously for my NPR work, I had the same concerns when Iray first came out since I'd be investing the time to create custom shaders and the scripts to apply them intelligently. 

I know it's not a guarantee going forward, but FWIW that was back in 2015.

- Greg

Yeah I still use DS 4.7, DS 4.9 and DS 4.10 Beta release (for dForce), and have little to no interest in updating unless DAZ decides it's time to upgrade 3DL to the latest build (3Delight 13) with OSL compatible shaders, USD etc. I have several backups of the DS builds in various locations:) Better safe than sorry, right...and there is always the 3Delight standalone for Mac Windows and Linux download:-)