I have two computers with Daz Studio (I use them both exclusively)

RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,283

Maximum allowable connections problem...

When I am rendering a long animation on my main computer I want to be creating a new scene on my other computer.

I have a second hard drive on my other computer that would hold all 2000+ products I have purchased but I would rather just link the second DIM to a mapped drive with the data there.

Both DIMs on each computer can not be run at the same time.

Can I have one computer rendering with the products while another computer is manipulating the same products in a scene?

When I link to the mapped drive it says can't use files created by another DIM. 

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

well you cannot open and download on DIM at the same time but you can certainly use DAZ studio on both computers the same time, I do.

I have two content drives for convenience but my computers can mostly see each other's shared drives in the network, one is on wifi the other ethernet, not tried using one content drive on two but have grabbed scenes off one for the other, the Win7 sometimes cannot see the Win10 without fiddling in homegroups, its a tad flakey othertimes sees it without needing to do anything, the Win10 can always see the Win7 when it's on.

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,283

Currently i am just making a copy of all of the files on the other PC's drive. This seems like a waste of space but if it works, oh well.

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,283

Thank you Wendy! Lots of great helpful info! You have reassured me that I am not downloading all of this data in vain.

i apologize to those who maintain the Daz servers for me having to download my models en masse again. 2000 left to go...

I will be done clogging up your bandwidth in a couple hours...

Sorry...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I didn't redownload mine

I just installed it all from my saved zip files with DIM onto the other computer 

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,215

If you share the download folder from your original DIM installation (it's available in advanced settings under downloads) and have it mapped as a network drive, you can open the other DIM and have it install from that folder.

I'm not on Windows 10 so I can't really help with mapping a network drive.

DIM screenshot.jpg
    601 x 289 - 35K
  • TheloThelo Posts: 3

I have this problem as well, but I think it's not about the user, but rather about connections maxing out on DAZ's server.

• You should be able to fully 'mirror' Daz on the second computer, including the library. However it'll be a rather technical procedure.

See, Daz is using PostgreSQL as a database backend for its CMS, and PSQL can be set up as a replication server. In other words it would ensure that its data is available within 2 instances (so: the server running on the other computer). All that's left to do is to make sure that you're storing the actual library on a remote network storage which can be accessed by both DS environments. Make changes in one environment and it'll be replicated on the other.

Of course I don't know how well DS would handle the network connections.

• have you succeed to use two computers in the same time ?

one for rendering, the other to work ? 

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374
    edited September 2022

Please read the messages above.  @WendyLuvzCatz said: you can certainly use DAZ studio on both computers the same time, I do.

Post edited by rosseliani on
  • You don't really need to have DIM installed on both machines to effectively use both. You only need to allow the second machine to access the data files that DIM installs on your first machine--this can be done either by simply giving the second machine's DAZ app read permissions to the folders where DIM installed them on the primary, or you can manually copy them over to the second machine--and it's not like you have to chose one method to the exclusion of the other, although each method does have advantages over the other that are exclusive. I'm doing something similar to what you're doing with just my one machine. I sometimes need to create modified texture files of DAZ & other products that I've bought, but the system really objects if I try to store them where DIM puts the files. So, what I had to do was have another large Hard Drive (10TB each), and mirrored the folders where DIM installed all that stuff, and then store my personally-created/modified files to the mirrored locations--yes, it's a pain drilling back down the same directory structure in the other HD to where the copied files are kept, but it keeps everything organized.

If you're keeping the files on just the one machine, the disadvantage is, as you're aware, there will be a lot of network traffic between both machines as the second DAZ will be pulling all products over to it while you're setting the scenes you're planning to do there, especially if your primary machine is currently busy with a render or animation project. The advantage, of course, is you're saving tons of Disk space. 

If you're concerned about licensing issues, you would be better off manually mirroring the data files between the machines. Some apps (like Microsoft Office products) report back to their sources if you're riding on more than one machine at a time and you only bought one copy of their products to load both. DAZ allows you to have on as many machines as you want, so long as it's JUST YOU using their product. The disadvantage is, naturally, your second machine will not be "up to date"--but given that unless you really need to live stream data from the Internet, it's not really an issue. Once you have bought an item and downloaded it, youre primary machine doesn't need to constantly talk to DAZ. Likewise, once you copy those new downloads to the second machine, both are effectively "up to date". Another disadvantage is that it uses tons of Disk space. But as you said, you're willing to put up with the wasted HD space, which also gives you a very effective backup system in case one of your HDs ever crashes. As I mentioned, the primary advantage is, you can take the second machine offline so as to not worry about any licensing issues you may have with other apps that might be on your computers, and while you're working to make a new project, there's no need for any sort of network traffic between the machines.

• Ryuu@AMcCF said:

You don't really need to have DIM installed on both machines to effectively use both. You only need to allow the second machine to access the data files that DIM installs on your first machine--this can be done either by simply giving the second machine's DAZ app read permissions to the folders where DIM installed them on the primary, or you can manually copy them over to the second machine--and it's not like you have to chose one method to the exclusion of the other, although each method does have advantages over the other that are exclusive. I'm doing something similar to what you're doing with just my one machine. I sometimes need to create modified texture files of DAZ & other products that I've bought, but the system really objects if I try to store them where DIM puts the files. So, what I had to do was have another large Hard Drive (10TB each), and mirrored the folders where DIM installed all that stuff, and then store my personally-created/modified files to the mirrored locations--yes, it's a pain drilling back down the same directory structure in the other HD to where the copied files are kept, but it keeps everything organized.

If you're keeping the files on just the one machine, the disadvantage is, as you're aware, there will be a lot of network traffic between both machines as the second DAZ will be pulling all products over to it while you're setting the scenes you're planning to do there, especially if your primary machine is currently busy with a render or animation project. The advantage, of course, is you're saving tons of Disk space. 

If you're concerned about licensing issues, you would be better off manually mirroring the data files between the machines. Some apps (like Microsoft Office products) report back to their sources if you're riding on more than one machine at a time and you only bought one copy of their products to load both. DAZ allows you to have on as many machines as you want, so long as it's JUST YOU using their product. The disadvantage is, naturally, your second machine will not be "up to date"--but given that unless you really need to live stream data from the Internet, it's not really an issue. Once you have bought an item and downloaded it, youre primary machine doesn't need to constantly talk to DAZ. Likewise, once you copy those new downloads to the second machine, both are effectively "up to date". Another disadvantage is that it uses tons of Disk space. But as you said, you're willing to put up with the wasted HD space, which also gives you a very effective backup system in case one of your HDs ever crashes. As I mentioned, the primary advantage is, you can take the second machine offline so as to not worry about any licensing issues you may have with other apps that might be on your computers, and while you're working to make a new project, there's no need for any sort of network traffic between the machines.

Is this why the default install is to the public folders? Is this for easy sharing of the products you have?

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 650
    edited September 2022

AgitatedRiot said:

Ryuu@AMcCF said:

You don't really need to have DIM installed on both machines to effectively use both. You only need to allow the second machine to access the data files that DIM installs on your first machine--this can be done either by simply giving the second machine's DAZ app read permissions to the folders where DIM installed them on the primary, or you can manually copy them over to the second machine--and it's not like you have to chose one method to the exclusion of the other, although each method does have advantages over the other that are exclusive. I'm doing something similar to what you're doing with just my one machine. I sometimes need to create modified texture files of DAZ & other products that I've bought, but the system really objects if I try to store them where DIM puts the files. So, what I had to do was have another large Hard Drive (10TB each), and mirrored the folders where DIM installed all that stuff, and then store my personally-created/modified files to the mirrored locations--yes, it's a pain drilling back down the same directory structure in the other HD to where the copied files are kept, but it keeps everything organized.

Is this why the default install is to the public folders? Is this for easy sharing of the products you have?

It might be. Public User folders are, by default, automatically given "shared" permissions to any other machine in their networks and have to be locked down or disabled when a computer in more secured environments. My life career started as a computer technician in one of the government Departments, so it was my #1 job to ensure all Public User accounts were disabled. 

In your own home, your needs may vary, but I usually followed the government guidelines for my personal systems--it's always good to keep to hackers out.laugh But for easier living with DAZ, I finally compromised by simply removing all "sharing" permisions from the Public User account and folders, although I refuse to compromise about loading any non-OS applications into the C:\ Drive--I use removable File/Data HDs for applications like DAZ, Blender, Poser, etc--that have their own "Users/Public/..."  and "Program Files/..." and "Program Files (x86)/..." directory structures created for them.

If you do need to share those folders, you can easily set up special "share windows" that are only opened from the specified folder -- like "E:\Users\Public\Public Documents\My DAZ 3D Library". The upper-most level of that window will only open into "My DAZ 3D Library" and allow access to the subfolders in *THAT* directory, but will not allow access to the "Public Documents" folder above it or any other folder that sits at the same level as "My DAZ 3D Library".

Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited September 2022

OK, you are very knowledgeable. You undoubtedly did answer the question very well. I install everything into one folder. And share that folder. I am not too familiar with DAZ's inner workings, though. My home network is small until my gamer friends come over. Good thing I have a gigabit network with the internet of only 200mbs downloads and around 11mbs uploads. Look at my avatar.wink

Edit: Mine started in the Army back in the 80s.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • I was in the field artillery and ours was just a little more advance than a Charles Babbage difference machine. We still had to do all the math with slide rulers and on paper. We had to take into account the winds at different elevations rotation of the earth and if we were firing over the mounts in Germany. Then punch all the numbers back into the computer because our numbers didn't match the computers. And we did it faster. 

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 650
    edited September 2022

AgitatedRiot said:

I was in the field artillery and ours was just a little more advance than a Charles Babbage difference machine. We still had to do all the math with slide rulers and on paper. We had to take into account the winds at different elevations rotation of the earth and if we were firing over the mounts in Germany. Then punch all the numbers back into the computer because our numbers didn't match the computers. And we did it faster. 

I hear that. And no doubt more accurate with your aim than the glorified calculator, too. Hooah!

(and, no, I would never insult you with an ooh rah! Marines were us squids' red-headed little step-brothers! cheeky )

Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on
  • Well at the beginning of the computer age punching numbers into a glorified calculator was normally waiting for the computer to have the numbers punched into it. Our calculations were done before the numbers were punched in.