SSD or HDD

Hi,

I have atm. a 1TB SSD and have just ~100GB left, Now Crowd Billboards, 4K Textures, a lot clothes etc. does take a lot Space :o

Now... do I have 2 problems:

1. should I upgrade to "just" 2TB, because I got already a BIG Library and... maybe doesnt need more as another 1TB? Or should I buy a 4TB? (it looks like 3TB is hard to get in SSD).

2. Is a SSD really that much better as a HDD for Daz3d? Scenes takes anyway a moment longer to load so... maybe is that moment just good to grab some fresh water, take a short walk, because I will sit the next few hours there :D Loading files (props, chars clothes etc). are they much faster? Are there any tests be done from someone who had maybe 2 Laptops and cult test HDD vs SSD or on PC.

Thanks.

Comments

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,387

tbh i was like you and I had all my content on SSD unil i ran out of room.  I moved it to my HDD, and havent noticed any difference.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

For assets I have HDD's. I actually use a NAS. But I've got a lot of assets, I've got stuff going to back to the V4 days. To keep all that data on SSD's would cost me a lot more, and I also have music, movie etc. on the NAS and 14 Tb of data on SSD would just be silly expensive.

But do what you think is best for you. If you think you're going to get a lot more 3D assets then I think HDD's are the way to go but if you're going to stay under 2 to 4 Tb then SSD's might be good enough for you.

• Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687

I tried moving my Daz content to an SSD last year, tested it for a couple for weeks and then moved it to a 2TB HDD that I had because I couldn't notice any difference in the speed of loading content.  When I need to I'll add a bigger HDD and use that as my content drive - much cheaper for no noticable difference.

• LoonyLoony Posts: 1,817

thanks.

I make right now a backup to my external 1TB..

944.000+ Objects :o and the speed says 9-12Hours.

@kenshaw011267 "For assets I have HDD's. I actually use a NAS. "

1. what is NAS? 2. you split your stuff, how does that work? Just my folder "My Library" does take 700-800GB. or something like that.

I try to install everything manual, if it is not forced to DIM, like Mesh grabber rotations.

edited August 2020

NAS = Network Attached Storage

In simplest terms its a computer that is filled with storage that is configured to act as storage to other devices on the network. It appears to my desktop simply as my D drive. It acts as a DVR for my TV, and my tablet and phone, and is otherwise the central storage device for all of my and my wife's data. All of our music, photos, movies etc. are there. It's just one device that needs to be backed up. It has greatly simplified that part of my life.

To get so much storage to look like one drive I use RAID, in this case RAID 10. I bought 8 refurbed 4Tb drives since I'm not worried about drives failures as I do backups and can withstand a single drive failure.

Post edited by kenshaw011267 on

wow hell that sounds complicated... like... a little homeserver? :D

Loony said:

wow hell that sounds complicated... like... a little homeserver? :D

It is a lot like a server but it is not at all complicated. You can buy a ready to go box just add drives and start it up, search newegg or Amazon for NAS and you can find them. Those are fairly expensive though.

It is also pretty easy to buy a used computer, or used server rack, and set up a NAS yourself. There are lots of guides online. FreeNAS is a Linux based OS that is free, obviously, that is easy to setup and maintain. So anyone with basic technical skills can do so.

edited August 2020

In my head I think its like a Cloud, but just "offline" for your Home.

But... I dont think i really need that just for 1 PC.

https://smile.amazon.de/Cloud-EX2-Ultra-Spielkonsolen-WDBVBZ0080JCH-EESN/dp/B01BIGSRLS

8TB for just 300€, I thinky my 1TB SSD did cost already 100-200€ .

Well the product says "My Cloud" :D

Post edited by Loony on

That's not vad for an external drive. If you're using a desktop you can get an internal drive and install it and save a little.

• MinamMinam Posts: 55

"Storage speed: Your hard drive speed does play a role when loading content but only to a certain point. A spinning disk (regular hard-drive) is quite a bit slower than an SSD so I would recommend getting a 520GB or 1TB SSD to host your DAZ content and scene files on. This along with CPU speed determine how fast things load in your scene. If you raid spinning disks you do get more bandwidth but access time stays slow therefore a raid of spinning disks will not be as fast as even a single SSD. It’s not just about bandwidth MB/s, it’s more about latency (how quickly data seeks happen) and an SSD is much quicker than spinning disks. Storage has no (or negligible)  effect on render time."

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207530513-System-Recommendations-for-DAZ-Studio-4-

• I had all my Daz Studio stuff stored on a 3TB HDD, but was running out of space on it.  I WAS going to try getting a 4TB drive, then realised a 6TB HDD drive didn't cost THAT much more, then realized an 8TB drive didn't much more than THAT and.... eventually just said,...  screw it, I'm gonna get the biggest cotton-picken HDD I was comfortable with paying the money for, and ordered a 14TB (!!!) HDD.

If I'd gone with an SDD that big, the price would have been exhorbitant .  :D

• joegerardijoegerardi Posts: 226
    edited April 2021

Minam said:

"Storage speed: Your hard drive speed does play a role when loading content but only to a certain point. A spinning disk (regular hard-drive) is quite a bit slower than an SSD so I would recommend getting a 520GB or 1TB SSD to host your DAZ content and scene files on. This along with CPU speed determine how fast things load in your scene. If you raid spinning disks you do get more bandwidth but access time stays slow therefore a raid of spinning disks will not be as fast as even a single SSD. It’s not just about bandwidth MB/s, it’s more about latency (how quickly data seeks happen) and an SSD is much quicker than spinning disks. Storage has no (or negligible)  effect on render time."

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207530513-System-Recommendations-for-DAZ-Studio-4-

Yes, but SSDs have a limited number of writes, then you throw them away. For that reason alone my OS drive is an NVME M.2, but my data drive will remain HDD for the foreseable future.

..Joe

Post edited by joegerardi on
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,545

Just a bit of information from my son in law, he owns his own tech shop and works on computers and other tech equipment for stores, banks, post offices and other companies he has contracts with all over the Island and the mainland.

What was expained to me is SSD's are great as a main drive for the program and does help them load faster, to a point, a lot depends on the rest of the equipment in your computer. HDD should be for storage, partly because they last longer then SSD's and less chance of losing your data. SSD's were not meant to be storage devices.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,122

An SSD, in a home environment, should last just about forever. Here's the final report on a "write until dead" test on a number of drives.Most significantly, from our point of view, is that the first drive under test died around two hundred TB of data written. I do an incredible amount of youtube downloads and data captures - but it is a rare year when I exceed one TB.

The big thing to remember on SSDs - never fill them up. They need some free space to do dynamic reallocation of failing cells. The old recommendation was 10%, but new drives come with some 'unreported' available space so 5% is now an acceptable free space.

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2021

I was actually, recently looking into the idea of replacing my existing, 2TB C: drive with an SSD (though, only semi-related to this discussion, as I stated above, I've long since moved my Daz Studio stuff off to another, way bigger drive... which is also a conventional HDD like my C: drive is), but for various reasons I'll explain in a moment, I quickly gave up on the idea.

Part of the issue I have is, I only really imaged my C: drive onto a newer drive a couple of months ago... since I was running out of space on my then 1 TB drive, so spending money on another new drive when I only just replaced the dang thing recently and the current one is working reasonably well... wasn't very frugal... and I'd bought the 2TB drive on sale, anyway. The other reason I dropped the idea of it for my own purposes was that, typically when I DO replace a drive (say, because the old one is packing it up), I want to go UP some more in capacity while I'm at it, in order to kill two birds with one stone.  Well, even going to a 3 TB drive, I noticed the prices then went up quite a bit compared with the relatively smaller price increase going from a 2 TB HDD to a 2 TB SSD...  I mean, the prices of going to a 3 TB SSD drive about doubled from the price of a 2 TB SSD drive, and then I saw some other examples of 3 TB drives that went to $1000 or more and I was like "Okay, frell this!  I'm out!"  :D

As it happens, part of the reason I was looking into going to an SSD for my C: drive was that recently, one program I'm always running in the background spontaneously started doing 90% to 100% disk activity for no apparent reason, the whole day long, to the point that it was trampling on other stuff I was trying to do... and someone gave me the, in retrospect, totally useless observation that "Gee, this is normal for WIndows... you should have gone to an SSD drive, you idjit, and this wouldn't happen."  0o   (For the first day or two of this, I genuinely thought he was telling me it was normal for Windows to do that with this specific program given my busy busy settup...  but now I just think he meant Windoze does this high-disk-activity stupidity in general. sometimes  Did I mention how much I hate Windoze of late?  0o)

(And.... bah, what is it about NOT noticing typographical mistakes until after you've finished writing a message and posted it, then notice more of them after you've finished fixxing those and only after saving the fixxes from before?  o0 LOL!)

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,545

(And.... bah, what is it about NOT noticing typographical mistakes until after you've finished writing a message and posted it, then notice more of them after you've finished fixxing those and only after saving the fixxes from before?  o0 LOL!)

LOL this is hilarious cause it happens to me all the time...lol