(Solved) How do I make pre-existing clothes look battle torn using transperency or opacity layers?

mightguy15mightguy15 Posts: 56

I have heard that there is a way to edit either transperency or opacity layers (sorry, I don't remember which) to achieve an effect where it causes the clothing to have a torn look. Does anyone know how I can do this or at least where I can find a tutorial where I can do this?

I have created a character that wears torn clothing due to the fact she is constantly fighting, but I have only been able to achieve this effect with post work, and it doesn't look as good as you can see in the image below.

Post edited by mightguy15 on

Comments

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,070
    You need to create an opacity mask for the clothing and add it in its channel in the surface pane. The opacity mask should be all white, with black paint mimicking what will be torn (holes, for example).
  • Hmm.

I'm a bit of a moron, so if you can please elaborate just a bit for me,

should I create an opacity mask then put it on top of the original image? As in merge them together? Or will simply creating the white layer with black where the tears are supposed to be enough, and I should just put them in the opacity channel? I'm using gimp.

• Hmm.

I'm a bit of a moron, so if you can please elaborate just a bit for me,

should I create an opacity mask then put it on top of the original image? As in merge them together? Or will simply creating the white layer with black where the tears are supposed to be enough, and I should just put them in the opacity channel? I'm using gimp.

No, the opacity map is applied to the Cutout Opacity channel in the Surfaces pane - of course if there's a map there already you will need to combine them, and using the Layered Image Editor with the Multiply blending mode (so that black, cut out, areas on either map were cut out of the composite) would be a way to do that.

• Ahh, that was WAAAAY easier than I was expecting it to be. I cannot belive Daz is this versitile!!!

Thanks so much guys, now my animu lady looks like a badass!!!