Iray not rendering object instances in Canvas mode

So.. another question from me.

Is there a reason why Iray is not rendering object instances in Canvas-Beauty mode? I select desired objects, select "create node with selection", but all selected object instances render black. Everything else renders fine.

Is there a workaround to this?

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Is the original object the instances are based off a part of your node list?

• margrave said:

Is the original object the instances are based off a part of your node list?

I don't understand the question :)

I have a group of stuff parented together and then instanced. It renders all instances during normal render, but not in canvas mode.

• I don't think this is a new issue. Please let me know if you ever find out any information (I never did):

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/364806/iray-alpha-canvases-and-instances

- Greg

• so it looks like its an all or nothing with the canvases, if the original node that the instances are a copy of is in the node list all of it's instances will render in the canvas.

instances on their own don't create a valid node list

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,591
    edited September 2020

skinklizzard said:

so it looks like its an all or nothing with the canvases, if the original node that the instances are a copy of is in the node list all of it's instances will render in the canvas.

instances on their own don't create a valid node list

Not exactly.

I created a simple scene with a sphere and an instance of that sphere behind it. This is what I found:

1. If no nodes are selected, the alpha channel renders both spheres:

2. If just the instance is selected, this error message is displayed:

3. If just the original is selected, or both the original and instance are selected, the alpha channel renders the original sphere but only the shadow of the instance (no error message):

Ideally, it would be best if you could render a mask for just an instance. And obviously it should mask the object completely and not just the shadow.

- Greg

none-Canvas2-Alpha.png
    512 x 512 - 112K
    sphere-Canvas2-Alpha.png
    512 x 512 - 118K
    error.png
    516 x 107 - 162K
    Post edited by algovincian on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,874

There's always Instances to Objects, assuming you're not trying to do something like an UltraScenery set that has thousands upon thousands of instances. 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375

how annoying

for posterity, i tried changing Instancing Optimisation to Memory instead of Speed and that didnt help either.

edited November 2020

I created a simple scene with a sphere and an instance of that sphere behind it. This is what I found:

even if i select no nodes, it still doesnt render instances for me.

Post edited by lilweep on
    lilweep said:

even if i select no nodes, it still doesnt render instances for me.

i deleted the offending beauty canvas and then re-created it, then with no nodes in the group it rendered everything visible, including instances - as per your example.  So weird.

• DigitalSteamDigitalSteam Posts: 299
    edited April 2022

Wait, so... Things like UltraScenery can't render using normal canvas passes for postwork?  How is that even a thing?  I just ran into this with a huge scene using Alpha Airdrome which does, of course, use instances (not to mention all the ones I created to build the scene) and now, on rendering, I'm finding I need to spend several hours making the scene even heavier to do canvas renders? (or buy the sript - or look into that 'convert figures' script...)

Doesn't that seem like something that should ... be in the ... documen ... tation ...  ... Oh, yeah.  What documentation.  9_9

I swear to dog, sometimes (thankfully, not very often) I have no idea where my loyalty to this software comes from. (Though I suspect the phrase "sunk cost fallacy" might enter into it...)  >_<

Post edited by DigitalSteam on
  • DigitalSteam said:

Wait, so... Things like UltraScenery can't render using normal canvas passes for postwork?  How is that even a thing?  I just ran into this with a huge scene using Alpha Airdrome which does, of course, use instances (not to mention all the ones I created to build the scene) and now, on rendering, I'm finding I need to spend several hours making the scene even heavier to do canvas renders? (or buy the sript - or look into that 'convert figures' script...)

Doesn't that seem like something that should ... be in the ... documen ... tation ...  ... Oh, yeah.  What documentation.  9_9

I swear to dog, sometimes (thankfully, not very often) I have no idea where my loyalty to this software comes from. (Though I suspect the phrase "sunk cost fallacy" might enter into it...)  >_<

Well, to be fair, Instances is a Daz Studio feature while Canvas is an IRay feature, that said, here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/463661/canvases-hdr-and-instances is a post where someone succesfully rendered a couple of instances using a script that supposedly already comes with Daz, I havent tried it yet, cause I'm not sure I understood how it works, lol

Let me know if anyone could make it work!