Problem with Reality plug in

StargazeyStargazey Posts: 244

I hope someone may be able to help. Reality has been working fine until recently. Now every time I try to use it the splash screen opens then immediately closes down to the task bar and refuses to run. I found some old posts and tried uninstalling and reinstalling Reality but it still refuses to open and run. At the moment I've gone back to using Luxus, but I prefer Reality. Any help to get it working again would be greatly appreciated.

Post edited by Stargazey on

Comments

• i don't play with reality much these days, but if you could post which version of reality, lux and Ds you're using, i'll see if i can figure something out.

• StargazeyStargazey Posts: 244

Thanks  for your interest.

I'm using (AFAIK) the latest versions of all of them: Reality 4 (4.3.1), Luxrender 64 bit (1.3.1) (This is the latest version available from the Reality site, so I assume it isn't compatable with the newer Luxcorerender) and Daz Studio (4.12.1.118).

As I said it was working fine until recently. I did one render with no problem, the next time I tried to use it I got the splash screen which closed down to the task bar within a second or so and then it refused to open. I uninstalled Reality (and Luxrender) but it's been the same ever since. Luxrender does work with Luxus (which I used before getting Reality), it's just that I prefer the Reality interface.

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 664
    Stargazey said:

Thanks  for your interest.

I'm using (AFAIK) the latest versions of all of them: Reality 4 (4.3.1), Luxrender 64 bit (1.3.1) (This is the latest version available from the Reality site, so I assume it isn't compatable with the newer Luxcorerender) and Daz Studio (4.12.1.118).

As I said it was working fine until recently. I did one render with no problem, the next time I tried to use it I got the splash screen which closed down to the task bar within a second or so and then it refused to open. I uninstalled Reality (and Luxrender) but it's been the same ever since. Luxrender does work with Luxus (which I used before getting Reality), it's just that I prefer the Reality interface.

LuxCoreRender is not compitible with Reality or Daz but it is 85% compatible with Luxrenders .flm files.

Is it the same scene or does it crash with a brand new scene?

There is a couple of tests we can run to see if its OS related or Daz related, Test 1: Run Reality without Daz Running. Does it still crash,  If yes then its OS related and something on your system is interfearing with it.  If it loads fine when doing test 1 then lets move onto Test 2: Start Daz,  Add a single figure or object, Add a single light & Add a camera.  Next load Reality,  Does it then crash or does it load fine.  If it loads without crashing then its your original scene file thats the problem.  If it still crashes then its either an installation problem or a commication problem.

If you have ruled out the installation problem then it could be that Daz & Reality are not commicating with each other,  to fix this make sure that Reality is not being blocked by your Firewall and/or Anti-Virus.

2 other things to check,  Do you have both Reality 2 & Reality 4 installed,  If yes the remove Reality 2 as having both can cause a conflict.  Do you have Octane Render installed as well as Reality,  If yes then this is also known to cause a cinflict. 

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,215

I haven't been able to use Reality since I moved to Linux, so I can't really help you there, but...

If you're willing to do the extra work of converting materials in Reality, then it's worth a try using Blender and the diffeomorphic plugin. It's a bit of a learning curve, but you'll have access to lots of other things like fire/smoke, cloth, physics, liquids, etc.

daz3d blender image

I'm still a novice, but you can imagine what could be done by someone with actual talent.cheeky

• I've tried the various tests and I'm begining to suspect that the problem could be with either Windpws or Norton.(I'll have to investigate further.)

I think I'm just going to live with it for a while. I'm hoping to get a new PC in the not too distant future, so hopefully a clean install of everything (I'm not looking forward to that! smiley) will have everything working again. 

Many thanks for all your help and suggestions.