Strange Shininess in iRay render - what is it?

Getting this rendering anomaly in a couple of places in this picture.  Not sure what causes it or how to get of it.  Anyone got any ideas?

2020-08-28_15-07-38.png
813 x 350 - 463K

Comments

• Just a guess, but its probably due to the angle of the light in relation to how the blanket's surface geometry is oriented in that area. I could be wrong, but looking at the sharpness of the shadows, are you using a Distant Light instead of a spotlight? If so, that could be part of the problem. Distant Lights produce sharp shadows and can cause stuff like this to happen on uneven surfaces.

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,215

Does it do the same thing if you make the person invisible? I'm wondering if there's some reflection coming from the skin shader (or the toenails).

• couple ideas.

check for smoothing modifier on the sheet, and turn that off to see if there's a collision issue.

Check the sheets proximity to anything underneath, could be a "poke" issue with the underlying item, try moving the sheet up just a couple clicks.

• Just a guess, but its probably due to the angle of the light in relation to how the blanket's surface geometry is oriented in that area. I could be wrong, but looking at the sharpness of the shadows, are you using a Distant Light instead of a spotlight? If so, that could be part of the problem. Distant Lights produce sharp shadows and can cause stuff like this to happen on uneven surfaces.

Changing to a spolight did make it go away.  Now trying to replicate the rest of the effect with the spotlight.

Kitsumo said:

Does it do the same thing if you make the person invisible? I'm wondering if there's some reflection coming from the skin shader (or the toenails).

Yes it does.  

couple ideas.

check for smoothing modifier on the sheet, and turn that off to see if there's a collision issue.

Check the sheets proximity to anything underneath, could be a "poke" issue with the underlying item, try moving the sheet up just a couple clicks.

Changing the smoothing did not get rid of it.  Moving the directional light to a different angle just changed where the anomaly showed. Looking 

'under the sheet' shows the bed suface to be away from there.