Problem with realistic renders in Bryce and when exporting and sending things to Daz Studio

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,239

Document proportions (aspect ratio): On the top: File > Document Setup (or Ctrl + Alt + N). By the way, I have a couple of Documents that describe different things. They are PDF with pictures and there is also an additional Text Only document to make it easy to translate via Google or whatever. Since English is not your native language (mine neither, it's the 4th I learned) I find text tutorials easier to follow than videos. For some videos linked, there are transcripts. Memos are very short (1 or 2 pages PDF) that sum up the essential things in the video.

• Really thank you both.
    And especially to you Mr. Horo, since it was thanks to you and Mr. David that I wanted to try Bryce (to that Golden Lights asset that they left for free in Daz's store, the tutorials that came inside were the ones that I learned a bit of Bryce).
    It would be my pleasure to review your tutorials Lord Horo.

• ChrisSerketChrisSerket Posts: 202
    edited August 2020

Emmmm ...
    I am experiencing a serious drawback (which was discussed a bit in the INSTANCING tutorial), which is an error that causes Bryce to close automatically when executing the instance to a tree (of which Bryce generates among its assets that it brings by default ).
    I could not make a screenshot with the error in front for reasons that I do not know, so I took a photo of it with my cell phone, which I attach below.

PS: My pc is desktop and has an AMD Ryzen 7 2700x processor (8 cores), 32 gb of ram (3000 ghz frequency), Nvidia GT 1030 graphics (2 gb of vram), 76 gb available on local disk C and with Windows 10 Pro. I mention this because at first glance you might think that I am from a slow or semi slow pc. In fact, my pc isn't even slow when Bryce's crash happens.
    Regards.

118522160_329961051695655_3876037590509683816_n.jpg
    1920 x 950 - 212K
    Post edited by ChrisSerket on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433

A common mistake. You haven't got a tree selected in your brush option, you have 'My City 1'... Which means that Bryce will be trying to make copies of a very complex object, not a tree. smiley

Click on the 'Brush Editor' tab and select a tree (which you will have placed into your scene and will show up in the drop down list of options.

Also: Whenever you're thinking of using the Instancing Lab, ALWAYS save your scene before you enter it. And upon leaving it, select the most recent Instance Group (which will be called "Unnamed Group") and ungroup and then immediately re-group it giving it a unique name to make it easily identifiable and then if it's practical to do so, click the [A] Attributes button and select 'Show As Box' so poor Bryce doesn't have to redraw all the wire frames everytime you move the camera or change the view etc.

edited August 2020

Yes, in the brush editor I had the tree, but in the BRUSH PARAMETERS part, as in the tutorial they sent yesterday it didn't say anything about it (or I misunderstood it from the translator) I left it as it was by default.
    Thanks for the appreciation. That may have increased everything by 30 million polygons.
    I'm going to fix it right now.

Muchas gracias por las nuevas apreciaciones.
    Voy a ponerlas en práctica.
    Saludos.

edited August 2020

Everytime you go into the Instancing Lab, you have to re-select the object you want to instance in the Brush Editor. Bryce doesn't remember. smiley

The Brush Parameters in the Paint window will say something like "Mixed Brush" and you're good to go.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited August 2020

I understand.
    No wonder everything went back to the beginning.
    By the way, something very alarming came to me.
    The island's terrain (which previously had around 500 thousand polygons), suddenly is in more than 30 million polygons (and they are not the instantiated trees, since even without those trees the terrain has such a number of polygons).
    What could it be due to, and does it have a solution?
    At some point I must have pressed something that caused this.

I was thinking that maybe I did the field instance thing, and that's why this happens. But as I read in the tutorial, it said that instances do not increase the number of polygons (unless again I have misunderstood by the translator).

edited August 2020

I already found out the reason for that problem. I had it on PLANETARY the terrain.
    By the way, where do I see that to separate the instances from the terrain?

PS: Excuse the multipost

If when you've made instances in the Instance Lab, you ungroup the one called "Unnamed" and then group it again straight away, they will not be attached to the terrain.

Bear in mind that many objects (including Bryce Trees) created in the Instance Lab aren't actually genuine Instances but just copies.

Since I started answering your questions I started this short and very simple animation... Rendered in three scenes. 2 eight second clips and 1 four second clip.

It took a total of 38 hours to render.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd36omL9GAI

edited August 2020

If when you've made instances in the Instance Lab, you ungroup the one called "Unnamed" and then group it again straight away, they will not be attached to the terrain.

Bear in mind that many objects (including Bryce Trees) created in the Instance Lab aren't actually genuine Instances but just copies.

Where do I see that ungrouping? I've been looking for that for a long time and can't find it.
    The only option to ungroup that I see (pressing on the ground then OBJECTS -> UNGROUP OBJECTS) appears disabled.

PS: Very good animation, I wish I could achieve such an ambient effect in Bryce.

edited August 2020

Click anywhere in your scene with the Ctrl button also pressed and it will give you a list of all the objects under where your cursor is (I'm on a Mac, it may be a different button on a PC but it is one of the modifier buttons).

Alternatively; Down at the bottom right there are a row of very small icons. This is a quick selector menu and clicking on any of those will list the items you have of each type in your scene. So if you click and hold on the tree icon, it will list your master trees. Clicking on anything in that list will select it.

Also further along that row, there is an inverted triangle button, click on that and a sub menu pops up. One of the options is Select Groups. Click and hold on that and a list of all the groups in your scene will appear. 'Unnamed' will be one of them. Select it and then in the floating menu for that group click the [U] Ungroup button. Then without doing anything else, click the [G] Group button. Then click the [A] Attributes button and give it a unique name (such as; First Layer Of Trees).

• Thank you very much.
    No wonder he couldn't find it anywhere.
    What is the reason that they recommend separating the instances from the terrain in this way?
    Does leaving them together have any negative consequences?

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911

Wrong!
    Bryce trees, Bryce stones, Mesh objects (not groups) create true instances (clones) in the Instancing Lab.
    Bryce primitives, grouped objects (any) create copies (duplicates) in Instancing Lab.
    I have written several times here on the forum how to make true instances (clones) from a group of mesh objects.

Slepalex said:

Wrong!
    Bryce trees, Bryce stones, Mesh objects (not groups) create true instances (clones) in the Instancing Lab.
    Bryce primitives, grouped objects (any) create copies (duplicates) in Instancing Lab.
    I have written several times here on the forum how to make true instances (clones) from a group of mesh objects.

Hi Alex. Feel free to join in and HELP Chris.... Or you could just jump in and tell people when they are wrong.

Thank you very much.
    What is the reason that they recommend separating the instances from the terrain in this way?

The Instanced objects are joined to the terrain meaning you can't use the "show as box" option to speed up navigating around the scene. If you did, the terrain would also be part of that box meaning you wouldn't be able to see much at all.

Also, I believe (though I haven't done it for a while so aren't sure) that if you decided to put a second layer of instanced objects onto the terrain, the Instance Lab would see the first layer and put the new ones on top of the old ones. If you ungroup the Unnamed layer first, the Instancing lab will put all the new objecrs onto the terrain not on top of anything else in your scene.

Thank you very much.

ChrisSerket, read this thread as well. It will be useful.
    But it seems that you are trying to create a complex masterpiece in Bryce without any basic knowledge. Start with simple landscapes and ask questions as they arise.

Thank you very much.

The Instanced objects are joined to the terrain meaning you can't use the "show as box" option to speed up navigating around the scene. If you did, the terrain would also be part of that box meaning you wouldn't be able to see much at all.

No need to separate the group of instances from the parent to minimize the process!
    It is enough to select all the instances in the group by color family and apply the "show as box" command.
    Separate the group from the parent and ungroup, then re-group and bind the group to the parent in a few other cases. In which? This requires a long study of Bryce. It is impossible to explain this to a beginner, since any explanation generates dozens of new questions, each of which, in turn, also generates dozens of questions. This is a vicious cycle. So you need to start small.
    If you separate the group from the parent object, then in IL it is not visible where and how many clones of trees on the ground. 

Also, I believe (though I haven't done it for a while so aren't sure) that if you decided to put a second layer of instanced objects onto the terrain, the Instance Lab would see the first layer and put the new ones on top of the old ones. If you ungroup the Unnamed layer first, the Instancing lab will put all the new objecrs onto the terrain not on top of anything else in your scene.

Absolutely wrong statement!

edited August 2020

Well Chris, it looks like Alex is going to carry on helping you from here because I'm done with this place.

Alex, you have always been extremely rude... well done. Bye.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,789

Since I started answering your questions I started this short and very simple animation... Rendered in three scenes. 2 eight second clips and 1 four second clip.

It took a total of 38 hours to render.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd36omL9GAI

Very nice animation, Dave.

edited August 2020

Well Chris, it looks like Alex is going to carry on helping you from here because I'm done with this place.

Thanks to both of you, but it's not fight about this either.
    And yes, I should have started small. But since I was commissioned with something of this magnitude and I have a date to meet, I am in serious trouble.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,239

Dave - well done animation, I really like it.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,114

Wow awesome animation Dave

• Could someone please advise me on a little landscape related thing?
    It is that I feel that the trees are lost a lot in the grass of the land due to the aerial view, and although I change the materials there is not much difference. And I can't change the material to the terrain because the one it has is the best for my case of the ones that are there (although if you could change the material to only a portion of the terrain it would be great).
    What recommendations could you give me?
    Or how do you do it so that even in very distant planes you can distinguish the trees from the color of the terrain?

I will explain in more detail.
    I don't have time to take screenshots, but I will try to explain in words.
    For example. You have Tree1 as master. First, you assign a color family to this tree. Do I need to explain to a beginner what it is? If so, then you need to write a complete 500-page manual on how to use Bryce. In IL, you create a group of instances on Terrain 1. Go to the main view and select the "unnamed" group and this group is automatically renamed to "Group 1". But you don't have to. In the Linking tab, in the group attributes, you can see that Group 1 is linked to the parent Terrain 1. Distance, Rotation, Offset and Size are checked. If you perform the indicated actions with the terrain, then your group will accept exactly such changes. If you duplicate the terrain, then the group will also be duplicated and linked to Terrain 2.
    So, you created a forest of 100 trees in the area and saw that the forest is very rare. You go to IL and at the same place create 50 or 100 more trees Tree1. When you switch to the main view, you have Group 1 and Group 2, which are linked to Terrain 1. All of these instances are clearly visible in IL. If you do not want to see them in IL for some reason (?), Then go to the Linking tab, click in the "Object Parent Name" field and select "None". By doing so, you have unlinked the object to Terrain 1.
    New 50 trees are located among the first hundred trees and also grow from the ground. Therefore, grouping, ungrouping and snapping to the parent object does not affect this process in any way. And yes, multiplying objects in IL doesn't guarantee collisions anyway. This must be corrected by other means.
    Move on. We take from the library (create) Tree 2, assign a different color family and add 100 more trees to our forest. We get "Group 3". The question arises: why do we need "Group 1" and "Group 2" with the same trees? Therefore, select these groups, ungroup and immediately group again. We give a name, for example, "Group 1" or "Group Tree 1", go to the attributes and bind this group to "Terrain 1", if you need it.
    This is one example of why you need to ungroup a parent anchored group.
    If you've ungrouped Group 1 and Group 2 and lost the selection, it doesn't matter. Select Tree 1 by color family. This will also highlight the Tree 1 master. But you should not include it in the group, otherwise it will not be visible in the list of objects in IL and you will not be able to use it for propagation. What to do? It's elementary. You enter the "Solo" mode. Does a beginner need to explain where Solo mode is or is it better to write a 500-page book right away? So, only your Tree1 color family is in "Solo" mode and nothing else. This makes the task easier. You select the master Tree 1 and use the "Select Inverse" command. Need to explain where it is? So you have selected all the clones of Tree 1. Go to the attributes and assign the "Show As Box" property to the clones, group them as "Group 1" and optionally (recommended) bind this group to the parent object in the same attributes group by selecting the Terrain 1 from the list.
    There are more examples when you need to ungroup a linked group. But I repeat that this does not affect work in IL in any way.
    ____
    If it seems to someone that I answer too shortly, harshly and intolerantly, then I can explain. In order to write this text, run it twice through Google translator back and forth, in order to avoid mistakes and misinterpretation, I spent more than three hours. If you take screenshots, it will take all day.
    Sincerely.

• Thank you very much for the detailed explanation, but now I am experiencing another problem (the one I left above your comment), which may not be entirely something about Bryce's functions, but more related to landscaping in general.

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398
    edited September 2020

(although if you could change the material to only a portion of the terrain it would be great).

Bryce does have a tool set you can use to do this by altitude. First create the terrain to your needs.  In the material library you will find height maps presets for clipping ( Image 1 ) these are visual aids. Next duplicate the terrain to how many material zones you need. I'll use 3 in this example. Next take terrain #1 into the TE (Terrain Editor,  Open the clip tool ( top right Arrow ) then click & hold the rainbow ( bottom right ) & select the guide you selected from the Marital library. ( Image #2 ) Pull the top of the clip tool down & create the base. (Image #3) Exit TE & select terrain #2. In the TE clip the bottom off by bring up the clip tool to the location you clip terrain #1 to. Then clip the top off to the desired amount.(Image #4)  Exit & select terrain #3 go into the TE & clip the bottom to there location terrain #2 top was clip off (Image #5) When doing the clipping let the clip over lap a little to make sure there are no gaps between terrains. If you have gaps just go back into the TE and adjust the clip tool to fix them. Apply different material to each terrain, Then select them all & group the to move or scale the group.

01Material.jpg
    665 x 410 - 144K
    02TE.jpg
    1069 x 881 - 427K
    03Terrain1.jpg
    1069 x 881 - 662K
    04Terrain2.jpg
    1069 x 881 - 777K
    05Terrain3.jpg
    1069 x 881 - 672K
    06Example1.jpg
    1209 x 680 - 537K