help altering animation block

I'm working with animations and the timeline for the first time. I bought an animation pack and have loaded the walk animation, but the hands are not posed and I want my character to hold an axe. When I pose the fingers on frame one, then hit play, the finger instantly go back to the unposed frame. There doesn't seem to be any way to pose them and make them stay. Worse, once I press play, any changes I made to the walk animation are gone, even if I create key frames and save the file along the way. There must be a way to tweak animation blocks. Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Comments

• wmiller314wmiller314 Posts: 184

Here is a screen pic of what I'm talking about.

Screenshot (2).png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
  • 31415926543141592654 Posts: 975

Good day,  animation blocks are notoriously difficult to work with directly. However, there are ways to override them. Probably the best method is to make a new animation layer under your character in the timeline and then add an empty aniblock and any changes you want to make within it such as changing hand position. It is a bit of a learning curve ... but it is worth it.

These two videos give some explanation:  Altering Aniblocks and Making Empty Aniblocks ::  [ NOTE: the timeline and features will look different between DS 4.11 and older versions with the newest 4.12 version ]

Oh ... and welcome to animation ! ! It can be lots of fun.