Help: Daz Crashes After Start (Just Deleted Octane)

LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

Hi everyone!

I have a big problem: I can't use Daz Studio anymore!
Indeed, as soon as it starts, it crashes. Sometimes it doesn't even start, after the window with the monster.

Yesterday I've tried Octane, then I've uninstalled it. That's all that's changed.

EDIT: I've reinstalled Octane, and now it works. How can I uninstall it safely, without breaking Daz?

EDIT EDIT: You have to disable the Octane plugin, then you can uninstall it safely.

So, Octane for Daz is now free (with some minor restrictions, such as using only 1 GPU and not having access to network rendering).
Do I suggest it?
Not really. Iray materials don't work there. They auto translate them, but the default results are very poor.
That said, I've seen different creators achieving great results, better than Iray, tweaking everything.
But a lot of stuff doesn't port automatically, like environment.
I thought it was much faster than Iray, but in a quick test it actually was a bit slower than it.

Post edited by LenioTG on

Comments

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited August 2020

Yeah, my results were the same, octane was a bit slower, but looked worse than iray. I think if you take the time to learn to tweak materials etc, looks can be be improved, and learned all the various render settings and what they do, it could be sped up. Aint got time for that though lol. If it looked as good as iray out of the box, I would probably use it even if it is a bit slower, as I found I can make larger sized renders in octane than iray(without getting dropped to cpu).

Post edited by TheKD on
  • LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
    TheKD said:

Yeah, my results were the same, octane was a bit slower, but looked worse than iray. I think if you take the time to learn to tweak materials etc, looks can be be improved, and learned all the various render settings and what they do, it could be sped up. Aint got time for that though lol. If it looked as good as iray out of the box, I would probably use it even if it is a bit slower, as I found I can make larger sized renders in octane than iray(without getting dropped to cpu).

Yes, looking at DeviantArt, many of my favorite artists use Octane on Daz.

The problem is that they're all making single renders.
    I make stories, and I can't just tweak everything I use every single time, my workflow is already slow as it is! :(

Regarding VRAM, yes it's a huge limit of Iray. But it's understandable, since it's been developed by Nvidia to sell more GPUs. They gift us the software, we reward them with our money anyway.
    But with 6GB I rarely need more. In case I do, there's Scene Optimizer.
    I'll probably want to switch to 10GB next gen though.

• DetniatDetniat Posts: 37
    LenioTG said:

EDIT EDIT: You have to disable the Octane plugin, then you can uninstall it safely.

Having the same problem, but how do you disable the Octane plugin? Thanks! 

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
    Detniat said:
    LenioTG said:

I can't check because I'm using Render Queue, but I think Help->Installed Plugins

• LenioTG said:
    Detniat said:
    LenioTG said:

I can't check because I'm using Render Queue, but I think Help->Installed Plugins

Yes, uncheck it there, then close DS.