Are these specs enough for stress free DAZ work?

MuzMelMuzMel Posts: 76

#Are these specs enough for stress free DAZ work?#
i7-9750H 

RTX 2060 6 GB

16 GB RAM

512 GB SSD

I have been reading past threads but in the mean time I thought I would make a thread here as well. My current laptop is 16GB RAM, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB and is slow on renders, it's a 2015 mac

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

A laptop is unlikely to ever do what you want.

As a laptop it isn't bad. The weak points are the SSD and the GPU. 512 Gb is tiny. You'll have trouble installing any software much less 3D assets on that. The GPU has only 6Gb of VRAM which will limit the scenes you'll be able to render. For a used laptop it isn't the worst option. If it costs more than about $600 find a better option.

• MuzMelMuzMel Posts: 76

A laptop is unlikely to ever do what you want.

As a laptop it isn't bad. The weak points are the SSD and the GPU. 512 Gb is tiny. You'll have trouble installing any software much less 3D assets on that. The GPU has only 6Gb of VRAM which will limit the scenes you'll be able to render. For a used laptop it isn't the worst option. If it costs more than about $600 find a better option.

Unforunately laptop is the only option for me. I move around a lot. Would get a PC if I could not I cannot.

The SSD I did not see as a problem. On my current laptop I have about 60GB of DAZ assets and find it bloated...I cannot see a situation where I'll make use of 512 GB. My current laptop is 250GB and still has 70GB free, after 5 years of use.

The GPU does seem to be a problem, I am reading that with 6GB it will cross over into CPU rendering, and render time will slow down. What would you recommend?

It does cost over $600 new.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

If you're buying new then it all depends on your budget. I'd aim for a newer hardware if possible.