RockZ Hair crashing computer

2»

Comments

• wsgentrywsgentry Posts: 572

On my system, the new Nvidia studio driver changes nothing with respect to the crashes with RockZ hair.   Let the system manage the pagefile, crash.  Manually adjust to maximum minimums and maximums, no crash.   Daz has yet to respond to my ticket, but that's okay. :) 

Scott

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305
    wsgentry said:

On my system, the new Nvidia studio driver changes nothing with respect to the crashes with RockZ hair.   Let the system manage the pagefile, crash.  Manually adjust to maximum minimums and maximums, no crash.   Daz has yet to respond to my ticket, but that's okay. :) 

Scott

Try reducing the render tesselation down a notch to 2.  I ran a test and was able to fit two without stalling.

Was there no quality degradation at that setting?  Trying it, now.   Thanks!

Scott

It's rendering, now.  Single character.  Interesting.  I just launched DAZ, loaded the scene, changed render tessellation, started the render, and it works. I'll check quality in a bit. 

Highest memory, including virtual was 45 gig.  CPU pegged for a little under a minute, then went to 65 percent and the render started.  Cool stuff.  Thanks, Sevrin!  This might be the fix.  Never would have thought to change render tessellation.  It makes sense because the preview render always worked.

There's a discussion about how to deal with the heavy geometry of another hair set, and dForce hair generally over here.  The  tl;dr is that you can greatly reduce memory requirements by reducing hair density aka hairs per guide, while increasing hair thickness aka line width to compensate.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/430421/computer-freezes-on-simple-scene-with-tara-outfit-and-hair#latest

Without presets, it's kind of daunting to have to make All. Those. Adjustments. on a hair like Rockz with 16 different sections, though.

edited August 2020

Thanks for the link, Sevrin.   I'll read that after I post this.   This shows what I think is a glaring difference in quality and it makes sense.  There are other, less obvious differences that I didn't include in the crops--like strand thickness/realism--even the way the hair lies.  At first glace, the difference below is what got me at first glance, then I looked around and found others.  I suppose this difference could be adjusted out, but like you wrote, "All. Those. Adjustments..." 

Images are named appropriately.  Hover over the image. All settings except Render Tessellation are identical.

Edit:  I read the thread.  Very interesting towards the end.  Thank you for the link! I hope the OP in that thread didn't lose heart. 

Render Tessellation at default.jpg
    268 x 267 - 49K
    Render Tessellation at 2.jpg
    305 x 222 - 46K
    Post edited by wsgentry on
    wsgentry said:

Thanks for the link, Sevrin.   I'll read that after I post this.   This shows what I think is a glaring difference in quality and it makes sense.  There are other, less obvious differences that I didn't include in the crops--like strand thickness/realism--even the way the hair lies.  At first glace, the difference below is what got me at first glance, then I looked around and found others.  I suppose this difference could be adjusted out, but like you wrote, "All. Those. Adjustments..." 

Images are named appropriately.  Hover over the image. All settings except Render Tessellation are identical.

Edit:  I read the thread.  Very interesting towards the end.  Thank you for the link! I hope the OP in that thread didn't lose heart. 

Yeah, it doesn't look the same, but that's to be expected.  Under some circumstances it's tolerable, and under others not so much.

edited August 2020

Sevrin,

It's even worse at the back of the short hair portion--bald spots.  :)  Looks like I stick with "3" for Render Tessellations for this hair product. 

Bummer is, this hair product is perfect for what I want.  The only other hair product that is similar is "Jett" Hair, but it's not good enough for what I need--even with SubD enabled and set to 4. 

Scott

Post edited by wsgentry on
    wsgentry said:

Sevrin,

It's even worse at the back of the short hair portion--bald spots.  :)  Looks like I stick with "3" for Render Tessellations for this hair product. 

Bummer is, this hair product is perfect for what I want.  The only other hair product that is similar is "Jett" Hair, but it's not good enough for what I need--even with SubD enabled and set to 4. 

Scott

Well, in that case you might want to try the method discussed in the other thread.  It will be a pain to do with 16 different zones.  Use the material that assigns colours to the different sections and then maybe see how one side looks.

Maybe, Sevrin.  I'm happy with the results I'm getting with Render Tessellation at 3--no crashes, plus, I'm not using the hair textures that came with the product with great results, so I'm happy... for now.

Scott

Well, to update this thread..

Crashes pretty much stopped after I adjusted virtual memory.  However, there was another troubling problem:  If I had the viewport set to Nvidia, it rendered fine until I hit the actual render button.  When I did so, the render would start, load textures, and two minutes later, rendering finished with a black screen.  That's pretty much unfixable.  Daz support has responded only once in two months to my ticket and pretty much said what was said here, even though I stated I had troubleshot the cause of the crash.  So, with all that said, here's the final render. 

Adrienne window fix.jpg
    2500 x 2500 - 4M