How to make animated figure not move between identical keyframes?

Trying to learn to make animations, I am creating an animation of a bodybuilder lifting a dumbell, the goal is 10 frames lifting the dumbell, hold for 10 frames, then lower the dumbell for 10 frames. The problem is that instead of waiting, the arm keeps moving. How do I get the arm to hold still between identical keyframes?

Specifically:

Frame 0: starting keyframe
Frame 1: Starting position, selected the arm, created a keframe "Node Recursive"
Frame 10: Raised position, copied the arm keyframe from Frame 1 and pasted to Frame 10, posed. The movement works as expected.
Frame 20: Raised position, copied the keyframe from Frame 10 and pasted to Frame 20, made no changes. The arm does not stay still.
Frame 30: Starting position, copied the keyframe from Frame 1 and pasted to Frame 30, made no changes. The movement works as expected.

So, the issue is between Frame 10 and Frame 20, both keyframes are identical, yet the arm moves around for the 9 frames in between. How do I fix this so that the arm holds still? (Preferably without creating copies of the keyframe at each interceding frame)

Comments

• By default DS applies smooth (TCB) interpolation - which in this case means it keeps moving beyond the first post in the pair and then back to the second. You can use the Timeline pane to adjust the interpolation type or to adjust the way the smoothing is applied using the Graph Editor section at the bottom of the pane..

• This is called overshoot, and it happend because the TCB interpolation needs a "wind up" region in order to keep the animation smooth.

This is one of those reasons why people say Daz Studio is not good for animation.

It doesn't have velocity handles, so if you change from TCB to Constant to try to remove the overshoot that you are experiencing, you'll create a crease at that point and there might be a noticeable jerk. To fix it will require moving keyframes around, or adding more, and possibly deviating from your vision of how the motion should look.

In a real animation system, you'd just set the interpolation type to constant and rotate/scale the velocity handle so there's no crease and the motion meets your aesthetic sense, i.e. good tools make it easier for you to "art direct" by making it simpler and more direct to implement your vision on the screen. The technology should be subservient to your art, not the other way around.

I know this doesn't help you much right now, but you should know that these types of irritations do not exist in real animation environments and learning animation in Daz Studio is going to teach you bad habits and give you the wrong idea about how easy/difficult certain things are to do.

But try setting the interpolation type to constant at the top of the bodybuilder's motion, and back to TCB when the downward motion is to begin. Maybe it will look the way you want it to. Good luck.

• This is called overshoot, and it happend because the TCB interpolation needs a "wind up" region in order to keep the animation smooth.

This is one of those reasons why people say Daz Studio is not good for animation.

It doesn't have velocity handles, so if you change from TCB to Constant to try to remove the overshoot that you are experiencing, you'll create a crease at that point and there might be a noticeable jerk. To fix it will require moving keyframes around, or adding more, and possibly deviating from your vision of how the motion should look.

In a real animation system, you'd just set the interpolation type to constant and rotate/scale the velocity handle so there's no crease and the motion meets your aesthetic sense, i.e. good tools make it easier for you to "art direct" by making it simpler and more direct to implement your vision on the screen. The technology should be subservient to your art, not the other way around.

I know this doesn't help you much right now, but you should know that these types of irritations do not exist in real animation environments and learning animation in Daz Studio is going to teach you bad habits and give you the wrong idea about how easy/difficult certain things are to do.

But try setting the interpolation type to constant at the top of the bodybuilder's motion, and back to TCB when the downward motion is to begin. Maybe it will look the way you want it to. Good luck.

Hmm? I admit i have little real idea of what i am doing, but setting tension and continuity to 1.00 on this simple rising and falling sphere gave me a smooth transition to flat values (of 100) between two keys.

TCB constant.jpg
    1889 x 1123 - 251K

Hmm? I admit i have little real idea of what i am doing, but setting tension and continuity to 1.00 on this simple rising and falling sphere gave me a smooth transition to flat values (of 100) between two keys.

I suppose that's better than nothing, but having to set two scalar values is much less "art directable" than using velocity handles to visually and intuitively shape the curve.

But I do take what I believe is your point: there's more functionality in there.

• Changing continuity and tension to 1.00 didn't fix my overshoot issues. I have to agree that TCB is unusable for anything but the simplest animations because of this issue. Strange unnatural jerks ensue that make no sense. I want to use the easing of TCB but I have been burned too many times by those strange jerks.