Texture Memory Consumption Issue

I noticed in the log file, that by rendering a single G8 character it read "Texture memory consumption: 403.5 Mb for 22 bitmaps (device 0)."

The total size of all 52 texture maps in the library is only 188 Mb take away the extra makeup options and I'm down to only 120 Mb.

So how come the memory consumption is more than 3 times as much?

It doesn't take much for me to drop down to CPU render. I have an 8Gb GPU.

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014
    mmoch25 said:

I noticed in the log file, that by rendering a single G8 character it read "Texture memory consumption: 403.5 Mb for 22 bitmaps (device 0)."

The total size of all 52 texture maps in the library is only 188 Mb take away the extra makeup options and I'm down to only 120 Mb.

So how come the memory consumption is more than 3 times as much?

It doesn't take much for me to drop down to CPU render. I have an 8Gb GPU.

That 188MB is just the combined size of the saved files - If they are JPG files, they are compressed.

A 4092x4092x24bit texture may have a file size of 2MB but it uses 48MB of memory

• mmoch25mmoch25 Posts: 128

So I'm guessing the only option is to reduce the quality of the texture files.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014
    mmoch25 said:

So I'm guessing the only option is to reduce the quality of the texture files.

There's quality and there's "quality"... The worst case I have seen so far was a metallicity map at 8192x8192x8bit (=64MB) that was solid black, just 1 even color and nothing else (according to IrfanView), converted it to BW at 512x512 and the memory usage came down to 32kB without any ill effects, didn't want to delete it because the model would have started complaining.

I have asked here about the required/needed color depth for different maps, but so far without much success - The cutout opacity is at least a BW mask and as far as I have understood, many of the maps are looking at the grayscale value => 24bit is a overkill / waste of memory.

• mmoch25mmoch25 Posts: 128

I've seen some pure black textures at 4096x4096 too. What would be nice, is if the render engine and GPU would use the system Ram, and not just be limited to the Vram.

Thanks for the help, looks like I'm stuck saving closing reloading rendering, repeat.